Home Forum Ask A Member 1946 evinrude zephyr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    Participant

I recently picked up a 1946 zephyr.. when I got it home I realized that when I took the cover off that the spark plug wires we’re melted to the plugs it had the ring terminal connectors.. I have read that the spark can arch against the cover? Is it worth my effort to continue working on it or is it junk? Also the prop just spins freely doesn’t seem to be engaged ? Please advise.. thanks

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mike,

Some of those early wires turned to goo with certain solvents. Probably not melted, so don’t give up. Prop issue is probably just a broken shear pin.

Good Luck.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mike get yourself a couple CJ6 spark plugs. They are a little shorter than the J6C and that should help give more clearance under those covers.

dale

Mike M
          Participant

Thanks for the responses it’s very helpful.. If anyone could help me diagnose my prop issue I sure would appreciate it.. prop just spins shear pin looks fine and so do gears I can spin them freely but flywheel won’t turn them and it sounds like shaft isn’t catching at flywheel?? Not sure I am a new collector.. the zephyr is my learning curve.

Mumbles
            Participant

It sounds like it’s time to drop the gearcase to help find the problem. It could be something simple but then again, outboard motors have been bought before with critical parts missing inside them. Hopefully that’s not the issue here.

I don’t think your Zephyr has a drive pin on the prop. There should be a large spring in there instead and a cone shaped piece. I’ll see if I can find a diagram.

EDIT: OK, this diagram shows a shear pin but I think it drives the cone, not the prop. It’s been a while since I’ve had one of these apart so I’m not sure on that. The shear pin here could be your problem.

Zephyr-Prop-Cone

I found a photo of the spring and a nut I made a few years ago. The spring places friction on the cone to drive the prop. You gotta have it!

Zephyr-Prop-Nut-2

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
              • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Mumbles.
              joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Spark plugs for your Zephyr…. The modern plugs like J6C are longer that the old style Champions This does put the terminals closer to the housing. Is there a possibility of a spark making the jump? perhaps. To be safe I do like shorter plugs. The problem with the Champion CJ 6 is that they don’t have threaded terminal studs and can’t accept the Zephyr ring terminals. I use NGK BM7A (part 6521) plugs they are short like the CJ6 but have threaded terminal studs. Just be aware that the terminal thread is metric so you will have to come up with corresponding metric nuts.

Joe B

Mumbles
                Participant

NGK BM6A’s are another good choice for these motors They are a tad hotter than the BM7A plugs and will burn a bit cleaner if the motors compression is down a bit. As stated, the terminal nut is removable and if necessary, a small washer can be placed between it and the stock ring terminal on the plug wires to help keep them on.

Using a quality outboard motor oil in ethanol free gas mixed at 16:1 will help keep everything running smoothly and also keep carbon deposits to a minimum.

Mike M
                  Participant

Thank you for the info guys .. I had to replace ring terminal ends they were just to loose.. put new boots on ends.. she fired right up..still perplexed with the flywheel not turning prop.. dropped the lower unit all gears at prop shaft spin and shaft spins .. so I removed the motor off the post and could see shaft spin when I moved prop.. it all looked like it should turn where shaft sits at flywheel connection. is there a atttchent that the shaft and the flywheel connect ? Thanks again for advice..

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Spark plugs — mumbles post “sparked” a thought about NGK plugs. Whereas Champion plugs rate heat range HOTTER with increasing numbers the NGK system is opposite… higher numbers indicate COLDER heat range.

Joe B

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.