Home Forum Ask A Member 1950’s OMC Nylon Idle Adjust screw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

I have approx 20 1950 OMCs with broken, spring-loaded, minimum idle adjustment screws.

Marine Engine has a replacement (0304573) that looks like stainless for $35, and a nylon (maybe plastic) screw with spring (0437966)for $55 each….mulitplied x20, that gets expensive!

Is there any reason I can’t just put a standard screw there, after filing the threaded end smooth and round? I realize I will need a screwdriver to adjust it but that’s no big deal. I’m thinking that maybe stainless screws won’t rust. I may need to put a nut on to tighten against the mating part to keep it from vibrating loose, even with the spring on it. or – does anyone have an inexpensive source for nylon screws that will work, even if a screwdriver or small hex wrench is needed to adjust?
      Dave

frankr
      Participant

US Member

A-OK with the standard stainless screw and the spring. Done it lots of times.

cajuncook1
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

A-OK with the standard stainless screw and the spring. Done it lots of times.

Curious, what size standard stainless screw and thread count. Is it fine or course threads?

Cajun

aquasonic
          Participant

US Member

Those screws are 1/4-20. The nylon is favored because if the motor falls or is impacted, the casting probably won’t break.

There was a thread on here this past spring about these screws. I bought a bag of ten nylon thumbscrews from Grainger for under $3.00. They aren’t exactly the same as factory, but a respectable replacement.

cajuncook1
            Participant
              quote aquasonic:

Those screws are 1/4-20. The nylon is favored because if the motor falls or is impacted, the casting probably won’t break.

There was a thread on here this past spring about these screws. I bought a bag of ten nylon thumbscrews from Grainger for under $3.00. They aren’t exactly the same as factory, but a respectable replacement.

Thank you kindly!!! 🙂

Cajun

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Thx for the info! I may go stainless, but I just had a thought and went to McMaster’s website (The place to get those gas connector O-rings), and found nylon screws available in a variety of different heads. Link below is for thumb screws. Approx $10 for a bag of 100!…or for high strength Glass-filled ones at $10 for a bag of 25. I think I may opt for the high strength ones. They probably sell suitable springs too.
                Dave

https://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-screws/=1dnmcse

david-bartlett
                Participant

I am using the glass reinforced plastic screws from McMaster Carr.

They work great.

aquasonic
                  Participant

US Member

Here is the Grainger link: https://www.grainger.com/category/thumb … sst=subset

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member
                      quote aquasonic:

Here is the Grainger link: https://www.grainger.com/category/thumb … sst=subset

Thx for the Grainger info – I will be near a Grainger store next week – Opps – I just checked and of the three stores in the Minneapolis/St Paul area – none of them stock those! – darn!….thought I would avoid shipping cost.
                      Dave

aquasonic
                      Participant

US Member

I usually order from my local Grainger outlet in Rhode Island. The order goes to the regional warehouse in New Jersey, and the order is in by 7:30 AM the next day. Very handy, and no shipping, just state sales tax.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.