Home Forum Ask A Member 1951 Mercury Mark 15 Reed Block?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bob Foscato
    Participant

Good Morning,

Where is the reed block located on a 1951 Mercury Mark 15?  Not having worked on one before, I think I missed the Elephant in room.  On my motor there is the carb and beyond that there is a dividing baffle and the crank shaft.  I think I’m missing the Reed block?  if so could you provide me with a part number and verify my thoughts that it should be located just behind the carb.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It is on the crankshaft behind the carb

Bob Foscato
        Participant

Where?

Attached is the view directly behind the carb.  I see no reed block.  Second image is of the tiller side fuel reed  for fuel exit to the gas can, this seems too small and out of the fuel path to the cylinders.  Third image gives serial/model info.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well Bob you are working on the dark side motors.  The reeds are internal.  They are built in the crankshaft.  No head, no stainless steel fasteners, you need special tools to work on’em, and the go like crazy!

dale

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See the hole where the carb goes? Look in there. You can see the material changes from aluminum to brass. That brass piece is the reed block. It is a round piece, which goes completely around the crank shaft. The reeds open in the up and down directions, instead of fore and aft, like OMC.

Long live American manufacturing!

Bob Foscato
              Participant

Shoot.   Thanks I suspected something like this.

billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You can’t see them very well but if you suspect there is a problem with them, you can gently feel around for them with a 90 degree pick.

Long live American manufacturing!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.