Home Forum Ask A Member 1952 Viking OMC 12vd10

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

So I am not mechanically inclined, but I like to try and appreciate the help folks here provide.

I have a 1952 viking/gale product sold by Eatons here in Canada.

For the life of me I can not figure out how to set it to choke. It has the big silver dial on the front, that says left prime right lean but the spring that engages the butter fly in the carb needs you to rotate the high speed needle left to prime to hold it in place? So do I really have to torque down the trigger that sits on the high speed needle to accomplish this. I am just afraid of over torquing it and damaging the needle. Obviously not only will it pull down on the spring to engage the butterfly but it will all enrich the high speed setting, which is okay to start it?

Also if some one can tell me if it should be 3/4 from lightly seated or more or less in the middle position that would be appreciated. Sorry haven’t loaded pictures on this sight for a long time and cant remember how, and don’t have time to educate myself this evening.

Thanks everyone and a have a good weekend.

Billy T

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I’m sure someone will have information for you, but for starters,
        is this the type of carb you have?
        I’m not sure what you mean by "torquing" down on the needle
        to get the choke to work. I’m guessing the type of carb shown,
        when the big knob is turned "left", the jet is opened and the
        linkage closes the choke plate. Not sure if there’s a "set screw"
        on this affair to adjust the choke linkage or not.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Don’t try to overthink it. Turning it to the left enrichens the needle setting and closes the choke for starting. Once started, turning it back to the right releases the choke and sets the needle to best running position.

For a beginning setting, open the needle about 3/4 turn and install the knob pointing up.

Once you have it running and all dialed in for best running, loosen the knob and retighten it in the pointing up position without disturbing the needle.

Not sure what you are thinking will damage it. Have the knob pushed onto the needle till it is flush, and tighten the tapered screw #30 to hold it tight to the needle. It won’t damage it unless you are Harry The Ape.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.