Home Forum Ask A Member 1953 evinrude 7.5 fleetwin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    jtohio43
    Participant

I just picked up a 53 fleetwin 7.5 for my 1970 Jon boat 14ft. I sea foamed the cylinders, the carb, the gas lines and pulled the carb apart sea foamed, blew out with air compressor and cleaned the plugs & changed the lower end gear lube. She idles well, runs decent in high throttle but I’m only getting 8 mph. I’ve seen videos & heard rumors that 16 mph should be expected. Does anyone know what this thing should run? Other than the clutch is stuck in gear, the motor runs great, barely smokes at 24:1 mixture. My first out board & my first "oldie" I’m addicted to it already but don’t know what to expect out of it. My 14 year old loves it & wants it when I get a new boat so I want to make her last. Any guidance anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you,
      Jeff

frankr
      Participant

US Member

The first thing you should do is check to see if it is running on both cylinders. You mentioned all the stuff you did to it, but I don’t see any mention of checking the ignition system. The coils in that motor are guaranteed to be bad (cracked) unless they have already been replaced.

jtohio43
        Participant

Will do, spark test or visually inspect?

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Disconnect and ground one spark plug lead and see how it runs. Then do the same with the other one. Results should be similar. If it makes no difference with one grounded, but won’t run at all with the other one grounded–that was the good one.

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I believe that motor should be 16 to 1 .
              Remember "Oil is cheaper than a power head"

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

jtohio43
              Participant

Both have same effect, points are clean now gapped at 20 fuel lines all clean filter is clean max speed still 8 mph. Good thing is she idles great now & starts first pull. I guess the speed is what it is. Just thought it would be quicker then it is

jtohio43
                Participant

Tag on gas lid says 24:1

1946zephyr
                  Participant

I would still run 16:1 on that There are no needles in that engine at all
                    I would also pull the recoil assembly off and get a visual of your coils too. On top of the flywheel, there is a small inspection plate.

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

That model has counter weights riveted to the crankshaft to promote smooth idling. This required trimming the connecting rods for clearance. This robs oil from the top connecting rod. You MUST use a 1 to 16 oil to fuel mixture in order to keep the bronze bushings healthy.

Your Fleetwin has a slick gearcase and is peppy on a light boat. However, a lot depends on the boat and the condition of the propeller.

The neutral depends on the 203116 clutch lever catching the upturned tang on the end of the 202259 clutch drive spring. If it doesn’t catch, it stays in gear. If this tang on the end of the spring is worn it may be bent up a little more. It may just need a little adjustment of the 203239 adjustment nut. This is done by removing the exhaust outlet, two screws, and loosening the 202780 lock nut.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

My 1954 7.5 Evinrude pushed my jon boat 15MPH by GPS. That was with a light load and it was barely enough power to get it out of the hole. Just a tad less HP or a tad more weight, and it probably would have been good for 8 or 9 MPH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.