Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp increase power?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    bsedwebt
    Participant

I just purchased a beautiful, great running Fleetwin model 7516. It just needs a bit more umph to get the boat on plane. I have a spare prop, pin and cone I was thinking about having re-worked for better pitch/cup once I figure it all out. I measured the length from the clamp top to the cavitation plate and it is 17.5" – the boat measures 14" top of transom to bottom. I am in the process of having a clamp on transom elevator made at a local fabricator that I can change the height from incrementally from 1" to 4" made because I do not want to drill the transom. I am hopeful this will get it on plane but was also wondering what can be done to increase the power a bit? Is there a different carb? jetting? reeds? ….

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

Well, there are a lot more fleetwin experts here than I, but I have two neutral clutch models, 50 & 53 and a full gear shift 58 model. The 58 is a beautiful running motor that I just love, but it is really not a power house. It will not plane a boat with me and my son in it. If he is alone, it will plane the boat, and then it will move along OK. The neutral clutch motors will plane the boat with both of us in it. We even ran them both at the same time as twins. That was FUN!

Steve

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

it is 62 years old and running nicely ! …. don’t push it enjoy it.
          http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … on.html#/0

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Fourteen inches is definitely too low. The standard transom was supposed the be 15" vertically. Since the transom angle standard was 12 degrees, the distance along the transom was almost 17". I usually ran a 17" (vertical measurement) transom, putting the "cavitation plate" half an inch below the running water line. Most speed gains on outboards is finding the correct propeller for your boat and load.

However you do have a design problem in your Fleetwin in that the connecting rods have bronze bushings. The factory compensated by increasing the oil in the bronze bushing 5 & 7-½ horse motors. They did it by giving those two smaller 4 gallon fuel tanks. The bigger motors use the 6 gallon tank. Adding the recommended quart of oil gives you a 24 to 1 ratio for those bigger outboards. They have needle bearing connecting rods and run very nicely on that ratio. That same quart in a 4 gallon tank gives you a 16 to 1 ratio to better lubricate the bronze bushings.

When they booted the output to 8 HP, they did it by putting needle bearings on the connecting rods. Later models gained some by tuning the exhaust and improving the combustion chamber. A lot could be done to increase the output of your Fleetwin, but it would be more economical to just buy a bigger motor.

chris-p
            Participant

I never could get my non neutral clutch 7.5s to get my big but up on plane, I just plow with them. A good 3 blade prop really helps, as does elevating the motor as mentioned.

bsedwebt
              Participant

Thanks a BUNCH! WOW!!! I guess I need to find a proper 3 blade prop first – anybody know where?

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You might try using the propeller meant for the 5.5hp, it has a slightly lower pitch, just make sure the engine doesn’t over rev.
                  I agree with Garry, find a larger engine you need more power. The three blade prop might help also, but may be a little tougher to find….

chinewalker
                  Participant

US Member

Skip the modifications. Find a bigger motor. A 10 or 15 will do the trick without risk of stressing the motor. Those 7.5s have a nasty habit of ventilating the crankcase if you push them hard (or skimp on oil). A 10hp of similar vintage should not be hard to find…

bsedwebt
                    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!!! WOW! is all I can say – lots of knowledge here! I really want to stay with this motor and give it a fair shake – I just bought it a week ago and it is just too pretty – it looks like a museum piece with fresh paint, decals, rebuilt carb, points, water pump, etc…. It is really cool on the little boat I take camping – it gets lots of attention as nobody else at the lake will have one that is for sure. I am not in a real rush when I use it but it would be nice to plane the boat. It was a one owner fresh water motor that has been completely restored by a local fellow and is in outstanding running condition. I am now in search of a 3 blade prop I guess… anybody know what pitch the 7.5 was supposed to be and where I can find a 3 blade? Also I hear I am supposed to run 16:1 mix – seems a bit much to me with full synthetic modern 2-cycle oil I am using – is it ok with 32:1? 32:1 is what the seller advised I should do and an old marine repair guy said 50:1 with modern full synthetic is fine but that scares me a bit. The motor has been converted to a fuel pump and uses a modern plastic 3 gallon tank/hose system. I am using non-ethanol 87 octane in it and I have some SeaFoam I plan to use every so often. What else should I know so I do not mess this little gem up? Thanks for all your help!

bill-bate
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Your 1954 Fleetwin doesnt use modern roller bearings in the powerhead like newer outboards. It is critical that you stick to 16-1 mix. I use 16-1 on all my older motors and none of them smoke much using Mercury premium plus oil. As for a prop. I would use one off of a 5.5hp Fisherman . It has less pitch and will help the motor rev up with a heavier load. Plus it should be easy to find one pretty cheap… As far as elevating the height of the motor. I doubt it will make much of a difference at the speeds the 7.5 is capable of on your boat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.