Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 big twin – bottom plug fouling

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Those inexpensive inline neon spark testers are a handy tool as well.  Just be careful not to accidentally ground one of the connections.  Doing this when the sun sets makes the tester easier to monitor as well.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

you never know if condensers are good unless teste dat HV for internal leaks

visit the western region AOMCI magazine articles by Mr.Mohat  on testing condensers

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

jeff-register
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you go back to original points & coils please use a burnishing tool on the points. It’s an electrical tool, looks like a fat pen with extra strips of burnishing strips in the top. What it is used for is adding material to the contacts of the points, actually deposits metal material on to the contacts. Originally designed for relays in the 1960’s.  Look in  mail order electronics supply houses on line please,

Jeff

The red boat
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

UPDATE

I did a thorough inspection of my ignition system Friday to find out what my problem might be.

The coils, spark plugs and everything ese looked fine and tested out with the multimeter as they should.

I also cleaned out the bleeder valve assembly.

Put everything back together and tested it in the tank…..still running poorly. So my next step was to start going through the carb.

I immediately discovered my high-speed packing nut was extremely loose and the high speed needle was as well. I snugged up the nut and adjusted the needle 1/2 turn out from seated and it started right up. It still smoked like a chimney from all the previous fuel loading but the longer I ran it at higher RPM the better it performed.

My conclusion is that it was simply being flooded with an over-rich mixture while at full throttle. I think I may have also had some stale fuel in the carb that didn’t help matters. The bottom plug was being fouled by excess fuel IMHO.

I took it to the lake the following morning (not a casual task in that the lake is over an hour away – which is a long way to drive back if it fails to run on the water). And it started and ran great! I achieved 4200 rpm which is about as good as this motor has ever run.

So for now…. problem solved.

thanks again for all the responses.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Great feedback   thanks for update.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool!

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.