Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 30hp Only 1 Cylinder Firing

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I have made no change in the cam in 3 years and it has been working fine that entire time

Community:  I am at a complete loss at what next steps to pursue so resurrecting this thread a bit.  I did check that both of the sparkplugs are firing (and are both brand new).  Looking for some thoughts on next things to try to see if I can resurrect the half of the engine that isn’t working.  Any thoughts?

Rich

fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just want to review to make sure I haven’t missed anything or misunderstood.  What you are saying is that both plugs are firing, but the engine seems to be running on only one cylinder?  If so, have you figured out which cylinder is not functioning?  I know it is tough, but a video (link would be fine as well) showing the engine misbehaving would be very helpful

From the earlier post it seems that the feeling was that the “dry” sparkplug was the properly functioning one and the “wet” one was the suspicious one which corresponds to the bottom chamber.  When I start the engine it sounds basically perfect – the only thing is when I get out on the water it basically travels at half speed and can never plane.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Have you tried grounding out one sparkplug at a time while it’s idling to see if it’s
        firing on both cylinders?

Prepare to be boarded!

How do I do that?  Touch the sparkplug to the engine block while the engine is idling?

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

How do I do that?  Touch the sparkplug to the engine block while the engine is idling?

You have to find a way to short out the plug wire while attached
          to the plug and with the engine running. If you notice a drop
          of rpms when you short a plug out, you know that cylinder is
          firing. Of course, that’s not to say it’s firing at higher rpms.

You could pull the rubber boots off the plug wires and hook
          the plug wires back up, then you’d have easy access to ground
          the plugs.

Prepare to be boarded!

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you have a test light you can pierce the spark plug hood with the pointed end of the test light while the motor is running.  That will kill that plug.  If that plug that you pierce make no difference in the way you motor is running you will know that plug is not doing it’s job.

hope this helps.

dale

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

If you have a test light you can pierce the spark plug hood with the pointed end of the test light while the motor is running.  That will kill that plug.  If that plug that you pierce make no difference in the way you motor is running you will know that plug is not doing it’s job.

hope this helps.

dale

Just curious Dale, what does that operation do to the test light bulb?
              Don’t think I’ll try it on my new light.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.