Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 30hp. Shut off

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dan Deitz
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I acquired a 1956 Johnson RD-18.  It is mounted on a 1959 Sea King 12 foot boat.  It has controls for center console.  When I acquired the boat non of the wiring was attached.  We muddled through attaching wires the best we could.  I cannot find the kill wire (shut off).  Right now I choke it to kill engine.  Wondering where the wire should be and how the kill circuit works.  Thanks in advance.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

not finding much info on the 30hp but if your 30 is anything like the  35hp RJE19 of 1957 it will have  standard magneto

if so….  killing the engine is as simple  as hooking up a normally open push button switch  to the  2 points  as per drawing

normally the 2 M posts on the start switch  are joined inside the switch to STOP the ignition… maybe your “new wiring” is missing those connections  (wires) which  will do exactly the  same as the above recommendation … both M posts are wired to the points   to short  out & kill the engine ignition system

I see you are a new member .. If not already done (sorry if I repeat myself) download your self a copy of the RED  johnson  service manual to service your oldy

go to

MEMEBERS ONLY TAB…INNER SANCTUM TAB …find LIBRARY… find GARRY SPENCERS DROP BOX…find the RED Book PDF  & download… print locally in 2  binders of 200 pages 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by crosbyman.
        frankr
        Participant

The 30hp was not factory wired for a stop switch.  But a wire can be added per the 35hp design.

Steve A W
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s an article explaining how to do it.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/3/free.htm

Member of the MOB chapter.
            I live in Northwest Indiana

olcah
            Participant

The factory owner manual says to stop that motor by choking.

Biddaddydan
              Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Well, I got my RJE-19 with all the wiring up to the junction box but minus the Choke/Starter/ Ammeter panel. I installed momentary push switch to the junction box to allow for remote choking and starting.

By looking at the actual wiring and the diagrams in my SELOC manual, I find no provision for grounding the magneto so I guessed it was designed to be stopped by choking it … as was the norm in the ’50s.

Regards

There are no old outboards, just machines so well built, they have outlasted their owners !

Mumbles
                Participant

Choke to kill!

Mumbles
                  Participant

Your ’56 RD already has one wire going to one set of points and is connected to the vacuum operated cutout switch at the other end.  This wire can be tapped into and the mag plate drilled for a second wire to connect to the other set of points.  These two wires can then be hooked up to a kill switch or key switch to shut the motor down. I did this on my ’56 RDE and mounted the kill switch on the lower pan and it worked great.

Here’s a photo of your mag plate as it is now with the one wire and the next photo gives a reference where to drill it for a second wire.

DSC00036
                    DSC00425

Dan Deitz
                    Participant

Thank you for responding and thank you for the new member information.

joecb
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep’  I have a 1957 35 hp Evinrude Lark… choke to stop

Joe B

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.