1956 Johnson 30hp. Shut off

Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Johnson 30hp. Shut off

Tagged: 

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Dan Deitz

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 10
    Topics: 3

I acquired a 1956 Johnson RD-18.  It is mounted on a 1959 Sea King 12 foot boat.  It has controls for center console.  When I acquired the boat non of the wiring was attached.  We muddled through attaching wires the best we could.  I cannot find the kill wire (shut off).  Right now I choke it to kill engine.  Wondering where the wire should be and how the kill circuit works.  Thanks in advance.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2929
    Topics: 281

not finding much info on the 30hp but if your 30 is anything like the  35hp RJE19 of 1957 it will have  standard magneto

if so….  killing the engine is as simple  as hooking up a normally open push button switch  to the  2 points  as per drawing

normally the 2 M posts on the start switch  are joined inside the switch to STOP the ignition… maybe your “new wiring” is missing those connections  (wires) which  will do exactly the  same as the above recommendation … both M posts are wired to the points   to short  out & kill the engine ignition system

I see you are a new member .. If not already done (sorry if I repeat myself) download your self a copy of the RED  johnson  service manual to service your oldy

go to

MEMEBERS ONLY TAB…INNER SANCTUM TAB …find LIBRARY… find GARRY SPENCERS DROP BOX…find the RED Book PDF  & download… print locally in 2  binders of 200 pages 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by crosbyman.
    Attachments:

frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 6364
    Topics: 50

The 30hp was not factory wired for a stop switch.  But a wire can be added per the 35hp design.

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 731
    Topics: 47

Here’s an article explaining how to do it.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/max/3/free.htm

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

olcah

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 513
    Topics: 84

The factory owner manual says to stop that motor by choking.

Biddaddydan

Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 15
    Topics: 2

Well, I got my RJE-19 with all the wiring up to the junction box but minus the Choke/Starter/ Ammeter panel. I installed momentary push switch to the junction box to allow for remote choking and starting.

By looking at the actual wiring and the diagrams in my SELOC manual, I find no provision for grounding the magneto so I guessed it was designed to be stopped by choking it … as was the norm in the ’50s.

Regards

There are no old outboards, just machines so well built, they have outlasted their owners !

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5610
    Topics: 294

Choke to kill!

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5610
    Topics: 294

Your ’56 RD already has one wire going to one set of points and is connected to the vacuum operated cutout switch at the other end.  This wire can be tapped into and the mag plate drilled for a second wire to connect to the other set of points.  These two wires can then be hooked up to a kill switch or key switch to shut the motor down. I did this on my ’56 RDE and mounted the kill switch on the lower pan and it worked great.

Here’s a photo of your mag plate as it is now with the one wire and the next photo gives a reference where to drill it for a second wire.

DSC00036
    DSC00425

Dan Deitz

US Member - 1 Year

Thank you for responding and thank you for the new member information.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 643
    Topics: 74

Yep’  I have a 1957 35 hp Evinrude Lark… choke to stop

Joe B

Dan Deitz

US Member - 1 Year

Mumbles,
    You provided pictures of how you ran wires for a kill switch. Thank you and they make perfect sense. As you illustrated I have one existing grounding wire. Running the second will be fairly straightforward. I’m going to purchase a kill switch with lanyard and run the two wires from dash to engine. One grounds the other hooks to wires from points. This connection confuses me. It seems to me that the two wires from each set of points should not have a common connection. Every boat kill switch I’ve seen have just two wires, so therefore you’d be permanently connecting the separate points wires. Seems like this would create some sort of problem, combining both magnetos and condensers. Am I thinking about it wrong?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2929
    Topics: 281

see post 258117   kill diagram…. connecting points together via a NORMAL OPEN push  switch  will kill the ignition..simple …..  don’t worry about the rest

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Dan Deitz

US Member - 1 Year

Thank you for your help now and back in April.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.