Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Sea King 12HP won't run right

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

thanks Dave. I have the motor in reverse for the video. That way, I have a load on the motor. Also, there is a fan running in the background blowing on the motor.

The choke is wide open for this test as you can see in the video. I think it is running better but certainly NOT as it should.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

That motor is responding to both high an slow speed adjustments. It is lean sneezing if you twirl the knob to the right and 4-stroking if you twirl it too the left. Speaking of twirling, that is what you are doing. Those things are sensitive and require minor dialing to get it right. I don’t think there is anything wrong that motor that won’t be corrected by putting it on a boat and adjusting the carb properly. High speed knob first at WOT, then slow down and do the slow speed knob.

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

ok…thank you. As soon as we get a day warm enough to go boating, I will run the motor and re-adjust it.

olcah
          Participant

US Member

I would think 3 packings/needle would be enough but it looks like the packing nut on your slow speed needle is all the way in. If so put in yet another packing. It just might not be sealed.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Not that familiar with the Sea King variations on the original OMCs, except to realize that they use a mix of parts from different year OMC models…So, my first question is was this engine originally set up for a pressure tank? In other words, is the pressure tap on the intake manifold capped off with a plug? What hose am I seeing with the bolt stuffed in it? If the engine has the nipple in the manifold for the pressure tank, and there is a leak, it will do exactly what yours appears to be doing…..Does this engine have a fuel pump on it? It must if you are using a single line tank. A bad fuel pump could be causing an air leak or lean running condition, try pumping the fuel line primer bulb while the engine is misbehaving to see if that helps….
              My other question is whether your carburetor has that pesky threaded sleeve for the low speed needle that tends to turn inside the carb body when you attempt to make low speed adjustments. I too noticed that the low speed packing nut is threaded pretty far in, I would add another packing washer and perhaps one of the plastic washers used on later models…The packing nut must be tight enough to hold the stupid sleeve in place or you will think you are making low speed adjustments, but are actually doing nothing.
              Finally, I agree, you are over doing it with the large adjustments on the needles….Set the initial adjustments, make sure the packing nuts are good and snug, then take it to the water and try it out on a boat. Dial in the high speed first, then fine tune the low speed needle. One final thought, are the set screws tight holding the knobs to the needles, perhaps the knobs are slipping on the needles adding to the confusion/frustration….

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.