Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson CD-15 late serial number

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gonecat
    Participant

Hello. I recently acquired a 1958 CD-15
      The motor has serial number of 1746067
      According to the Old Outboard Book, the serial number dates the motor to 1959.
      How late into 1959 was Johnson still marketing the previous year models?
      I am always fascinated with production numbers of various models.
      This serial number on a CD-15 surprised me.
      Thanks for any info.
      Steve

20191002_191148B

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Mumbles.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I have no idea about serial number ranges, but that transom clamp looks like holiday bronze, a 1959 model would have been white… A CD-15 is a 1958 model, guess I’m just wondering why you are concerned about the serial number….

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Not sure how far into any model year production they carried over the previous year’s production. My 1958 QD-19 has a serial number starting with 1770 which was well into the 1959 production year.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

gonecat
          Participant

Just a curiosity thing, fleetwin. It’s fun to learn about the fun fact type of history of the motors, to me.
            She’s a beauty and a fun project ahead, for sure.
            Interesting how late into 1959 Johnson was selling 1958 “leftovers”, bobw.
            I have read about similar motors from earlier 1950s year models as well such as during the transition of the cowl types in the earlier 50s.
            In all reality, it doesn’t matter when the motor was made or sold, this beauty sports a ’58 model number and colors. 🙂
            thanks for the replies.
            Steve

chinewalker
            Participant

US Member

It’s entirely possible that the source material for the serial lists have inaccuracies. Much of a model year’s production takes place the previous year. When I worked marinas in the 1980s, next model year brochures started showing up late summer. So, there’s bound to be some overlap…

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

When Evinrude was Unionized in the 1940s, there was much discussion about vacation time. Since the recreational boating took a nose dive when school started in September, it was deceided that would be a good time for EVERYBODY to take off. They hired a security company to guard the factory while it was closed down for two weeks. When they reopened there was a mad scramble to installl and test the machinery to build the new models. Produrtion really started in October and first models were shipped to Florida and Texas who had more or less a year round boating season. It was always interesting to find things owners could do to an outboard that the engineers hadn’t thought of. There was always an effort to get the new models in the dealers showrooms for Christmas sales. Then there was the January and February boat shows. Then the spring tune up to get ready for summer. People are already talking about next years cars – why not next years outboards?

frankr
                Participant

US Member

And if a dealer didn’t get his order in by very early in the year, he wasn’t going to get any motors either. I wonder if that’s why you see a car dealer with a thousand new cars sitting on the lot?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by frankr.
                  RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

My 1958 Johnson 18 hp has the same situation. It wears a 1959 serial number but is clearly a 1958..

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well I surely understand newer models being produced in the previous year, but hard to imagine it the other way around…Unless there was an excess of older parts laying around the plant…Just seems like it would be a mess, production wise. I tend to agree with Scott, perhaps the information describing the serial number ranges isn’t completely accurate.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.