Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 5.5 hp weeping gearcase oil..still

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I figured I had this one fixed but no… still weeping

I resealed the gear case … new prop shaft seal spaghetti seal etc… (did not do the drive shaft and shift rod seal… I should have 🙁

yet standing up it weeps …slowly but surely I doubt oil is bulbing over the drive and shift seals

I assumed a freeze crack but I doubt it…. nothing real obvious in or out of the gearcase but I did line the inner gearcase surface with some steel epoxy where I imagined a crack was …that did not solve my problem

sounds silly but it has been extremely hard to really find/see/pinpoint where it weeps

any suggestions to pinpoint this leak …. soap and water red dye ? UV sensitive dye mixed in the oil (maybe NAPA has a UV product)

I will tear it open again to do what I should have done ……drive and shift shaft seals even if I doubt they are causing this weeping

thanks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

7tcu
      Participant

We used Magna Flux die penetrant with the developer where I worked to find cracks in manly cast parts, there are many different brands of the type of stuff but none of them are cheap that I have found.

hag
        Participant

its the shift rod seal.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The screws could be leaking also! Need some sealer under the heads and on the treads.

dale

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok I will reseal the screws with new washers and…. layers of yellow teflon

shift rod and drive shaft seals ordered but I’ll wait and see if the screws seal up first ..

these oldies need their head pulled …done it several times but no need to do if I don’t have to

found some UV stain on Amazon … not to expensive I may try it out and report back if successful with the UV stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-Certified-Fuel-Systems-ounce/dp/B002M4G24U/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_3/138-3390213-3476423?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002M4G24U&pd_rd_r=14499d7a-7dd7-11e9-b0f3-5fc5494b71c2&pd_rd_w=GQ315&pd_rd_wg=KDl3F&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=13GMS03DQ4EZ93RPPZ10&psc=1&refRID=13GMS03DQ4EZ93RPPZ10

wbeaton
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Where is the motor stored? if its outside in the sun or an otherwise warm place the gear oil may expand and leak past the seals. This isn’t necessarily a problem. If you have the gearcase torn down you really should replace all the seals. You will thank yourself later. The shift shaft seal lives a tough life. I’ve never found a 50’s gearcase with original seals to have a good shift shaft seal.

Wayne
                Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

motor stored in the shed ( not hot) ….I used Dollar store doggie ” training pads” to collect oil drips in the shop and the last pad was…wet

AMAZON (Seller) won’t ship his $8 UV dye to Canada

I’ll try locally but as usual we get ripped off with 6-8$ USA becoming 20-25 $ CDN 🙁

will do all the seals asap … but I find cheap UV dye I’ll test it out

I do not need this 5.5hp Golden Jubile and will sell it with the pressure tank it came with ….I clear them out at $150 after purchase cost + carb, ignition, impeller job (keeps me busy in the winter)

I need to check the tank first and run the motor otherwise it gets a round B&S pump conversion . cowl needs a good sanding and fresh paint

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.
                  fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, well first be sure it is actually gear oil that is leaking/weaping out of there….Might be crankcase drool….
                    Have you pressure tested the gearcase? I know the stevens tester is expensive, but they do sell the screw in adapter for the hose separately at a reasonable price…Then, you could make up you own pressure tester easily….Just don’t over pressurize and blow out perfectly good seals and orings, just takes about 5PSI, then immerse the gearcase in a bucket of water to pinpoint the problem aread….

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

nope.. it is gearcase clean oil drips

been planning to built a pressure tester for some time yet for some reason 3/8 x 20 tpi is rare around here

I have a 0-15 psi meter ready …good project in sight

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like I say, Stevens sells the threaded adapters separately, and at a reasonable price…..Save yourself some time trying to fabricate something, and just order one from them….Don

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.