Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 20HP Johnson

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Evinrude 25
    Participant

Just got the new cam in mail. I set up everything nicely and got strong spark! When I did the final torque (40ft.lb). Then it had no spark. The same problem happen, the new cam got crack! As per your comment, in the past the flywheel was over toquered and created the mushroom. Could I machine the flywheel to reduce the interference of it and the cam?

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Don’t know that it could be machined correctly or not, but here’s a link to a used flywheel for $20 at The Brazilian Connection. You’ll see it listed about halfway down the page. This is at their Pennsylvania location which is only open thru Sept. 26 but you might try to contact them and see if you can get it anyway. I’ve ordered parts from them after their seasonal closing date before and they’ve always shipped it.

https://thebrazilianconnection.com/68j20parts.html

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

So sorry this happened again…I guess we should have figured that an over torqued flywheel is what snapped the cam to begin with….There is no way to “repair” that flywheel, there are plenty of used ones available. Be sure to chuck out this damaged flywheel so it doesn’t accidentally get “re used” down the road…

johnyrude200
          Participant

Ive seen it happen before several times, but then again, I’m working on these motors all the time for my business. Things wear out and break, it happens to everything eventually. That cam should be the same one used on 5.5-25hp OMC motors 1958-1976 FYI……they are pretty common to find.

Evinrude 25
            Participant

I set up the timing with broken cam and torque the flywheel to 40ft.lb. Here is the link of how its running. I may keep the way it is for now.
              https://youtu.be/oTboOk6Cozw

cajuncook1
              Participant

Evinrude25, I would not keeping running the motor with the cracked points cam. The cracked points cam could started damaging the machined smooth surface of the crankshaft. You definitely need to replace the flywheel and get a new points cam. Alas, we can only give advice, it is up to the reader to decide to accept the advice.

Good luck with your motors,

Cajuncook1

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by cajuncook1.
                fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m confused, I thought that torquing the original flywheel properly resulted in a no spark situation…
                  I’m with Cajun, don’t run the engine like this…The flywheel is damaged, along with the cam. The flywheel could come apart at high speeds, which will tear up the mag plate and crankshaft….

All that being said, this older 20hp idles real nicely. Please don’t expect your newer 20hp to idle this nicely, it’s more eco friendly recirculation system eliminated overboard crankcase drains.

Evinrude 25
                  Participant

Yes, I will order a new used cam and used flywheel. The motor idle nicely than other my 1973 20Hp from other post. I like the way old motor idling. The sound is very nice and smooth! Thank again for the comments.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.