Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 evinrude 9.5

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Geer Pyron
    Participant

Geer from Gainesville here.
      New member.
      Up late saterday before Easter working on a 1969 evinrude 9.5 given to me by an old man named Gary.
      After a complete tear down put back together and a first test at the Yellow Jacket meet last weekend, it fails to run.
      Starts, won’t stay started.
      A friend said, and I trust his opinion, said one cylinder wasn’t fireing or it was missing or something.
      Since then I’ve tested the ignition and redone the timing. All is good.
      In the process I noticed water on the lower spark plug, indeed, in that lower cylinder. Only a little bit, but definitely water on the threads of the spark plug hole, inside.
      First, could this be why that cylinder wasn’t firering at idle/low speed?
      I feel like that’s a dumb question but I gotta axe.
      Second, ive taken this thing apart enough (3 times! Long story) to know I don’t wanna do it again.
      I do enjoy it, but….
      What should be the first, second, third, etc, thing I should check before tearing it down again?
      I’m visualizing the path the water takes up from the pump. It’s got to be getting into the exhaust and hence into the cylinder.
      Oh man, I’m answering my own question here.
      Crap!
      Power head goes down onto exhaust housing.
      Water tube has an o- ring and lock washer.
      There?
      Anyway, I’m glad I joined up finally.
      Glad I went to yellow jacket on the 12 and 13.
      Thanks to George, Tim, Joe, Dale, Steve and others for making my first meet a nice one.

JMGP

bobw
      Participant

US Member

You may have a bad cylinder head gasket. Have you pulled the cylinder head off in any of your 3 tear-downs?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Geer Pyron
        Participant

Yes.
          But, since I don’t have to take the whole thing apart to remove the head it’s worth a check I guess.
          Although I’m 90% sure I installed it correctly.
          Would a lil water in there keep it from running at idle?
          Thank for your input.
          Geer

JMGP

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Yes, water in the cylinder will prevent it from running/idling properly. You say it will start but won’t stay running – that might suggest it’s getting a lot of water in that cylinder (among other possible problems). BTW, are you in Gainesville, FL. GA, TX, AL: or MO?

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

Because of the short driveshaft housing putting the powerhead close to the water, the exhaust is directed to the top of the powerhead before looping down toward the exhaust housing. Any water leaks in the exhaust cover tend to puddle in the bottom cylinder. Any leaks in the bottom main bearing seal can be distributed through the entire powerhead by the built in re-oiling system and is bad news. . . Good to see you at our Yellow Jacket meet.

IMG_0865W-1

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Sounds like a leaking exhaust cover assy to me. Just how far did you take this thing apart?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by frankr.
                Geer Pyron
                Participant

Bob, I’m in Gainesville, Fl.
                  Thanks for the replays.
                  Garry, I guess this is you who gave me this motor.
                  It’s current incarnation has parts from a couple of others, but as I call my boat “Hanks boat” this is “Garrys motor”
                  And I’ve had it completely taken apart. Every nut and screw has been undid and re-did.
                  And now it is all undid again.
                  There is milky white oil all in the exhaust area.
                  Def leaning towards a leak in the exhaust housing assembly as Frankr suggest.
                  I replaced both top and bottom seals and am confident they were installed well.
                  I’m going to have another look at tonight to see if I can find anything telling.
                  Thanks again
                  Geer

JMGP

bobw
                  Participant

US Member

Geer – sounds like you found the problem area.

Go Gators!! Class of 1975.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Sounds like you are well qualified. Anybody that had one of those apart numerous times must be!

Geer Pyron
                      Participant

Okay!
                        Found the problem!
                        Lord, I ought to be asleep already, but I couldn’t put that damn motor down!
                        The block I used was one that I had repaired. Of the two, the welder guy, who was referred to me by a club member I trust, said one would be easier to fix than the other. I had it fixed.
                        But not.
                        There was a hole between the water jacket around lower cylinder and the exhaust area. That was what he welded up. But didn’t, or rather the weld didn’t stick.
                        He told me that it was difficult. That corrosion works its way through pores in the aluminum or some such.
                        Taking the whole power head apart showed some god aweful mess in there.
                        Boo-hoo! All my cleaning and scrubbing all for naught!
                        But, the second block, a 9922m as opposed to the shot 9922s was fixable. Well I did anyway.
                        Ha!
                        I got the choreography down!
                        By no means well qualified, just practice. Trying to remember to remove both auto pilot screws, or having a long magnetized rod within reach!
                        Ha!
                        I’m new here, but when I get handy with these posts, where to put them and how to label them for quick finding I’ll write a more detailed and fun discription of the ordeal. No, not ordeal, experience. Ordeals are bad, this was fun.
                        I’m finally getting beyond merely “transcribing Arabic”!
                        Geer

JMGP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.