Home Forum Ask A Member 1972 85 hp V4 reverse latch rod?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

This seems like a question I shouldn’t need to be asking, but simple as it seems I can’t figure it out….

There is a rotating lever that pulls on a rod. That part is fine. But what does the bottom of the rod connect to? There is a hole in the latch. There is a 90 deg bend in the bottom of the rod. But there is nothing to keep the rod in the hole and I don’t see any wear patterns. What does this rod connect to?

I am having little luck with pics this morning. Hope this one is viewable.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, viewable…
        http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … st+Housing
        Usually, the rod #37 wraps around the pin #47, but clearly that is not the case here….Hopefully someone has a similar model they can peek at for you….

amuller
        Participant

I’ve studied the hell out of that illustration. The rod is too short to hook around the pin, even it it had a loop rather than just a bend. It does seem to be the right length to engage the hole in the "locking lever" but there is nothing to hold it in place. Puzzling….

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

How about if you turn it 180 degrees and come in from the other side ?

amuller
            Participant
              quote Garry in Tampa:

How about if you turn it 180 degrees and come in from the other side ?

IBecause of the way the rod is curved at the top to allow overcenter action it probably could not be done.

What I did was strap the rod in the hole with lockwire. Not an ideal solution but this project has to go together.

I still think there is something missing here–either an insight or a part.

Alan

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I seem to remember it simply goes through the hole and stays there. But this seems to dispute that. I suspect you don’t have it installed correctly at the top, making it point the wrong way at the bottom. Again, it "seems" like it is supposed to point fore or aft, whichever the case may be. But how to remember after 50 years?

amuller
                Participant

I got this response on iboats, agreeing with Frank above:

"It simply goes in the hole of the lift bracket… impossible for it to come out unless the rod is bent/tilted quite a ways."

It has a curve to it and points at about a 45 deg angle from fore-and-aft. The lock/unlock lever also seems quite loose.

I guess I understand it now.

Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.