Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Evinrude 70 hp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rick Robbins
    Participant

Looking to find out the MINIMUM connections needed on a 1974 Evinrude 70 hp to get it to run in a test tank. The motor was given to me without controls or info. Thought someone might have had a similar experience with attempting a start up like this.
      Rick

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Actually, you can hand choke it and rope start it with no connections at all. However it will blow the rectifier unless you disconnect it (yellow wires) from the terminal strip. Also, you can not turn it off to stop it except by grounding the black/yellow stripe wire leading to the power pack. Careful, that wire can shock you.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by frankr.
        Rick Robbins
        Participant

Thanks frankr, that’s just what I was looking for. I’ve had this motor for a while, was told it was fine, but never had the time to try and fire it up. Maybe in the spring when all my other boat stuff gets done.

Rick Robbins
          Participant

It would seem that if I somehow hooked up a battery to the motor first, I would eliminate the possible damage to the rectifier? Or am I just better off going with your original suggestion?
            Rick

frankr
            Participant

US Member

You asked for minimum connections, which is what I gave. But yes, if you connect the + and – cables to a battery it will eliminate the danger to the rectifier. And of course you can go step further and electric start it with a jumper wire to the solenoid.

Rick Robbins
              Participant

Yes, you’re correct I asked for minimum and you provided that. Just thought I would try a step further to see how I could make it easier for myself, since I don’t have controls, I can add this newest info to get around any issues without causing damage. Yes, your original answer was just what I was looking for.
                Thanks for both answers, I feel much more confident in attacking this now and not damaging anything.
                Rick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.