Home Forum Ask A Member 1974 Johnson 70 over charging to 15.3 volts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Txgunslinger
    Participant

1974 70ESL7 saw the old stator dripping rubber and decided to replace it and the rectifier. I replaced the old with a CDI stator and a Chinese rectifier. Took it out and ran it , putting out 15.3v

came home and ordered an oem rectifier ,  got it today and installed it. Same malarkey. Over 15v at 3800 revs. Scratching head. Battery is showing 12.4 v when I turn on the key. I verified it with an ohm meter. Even went to Napa and checked the battery . 660 cca battery , teats 580cca. Scratching head.  I called CDI thinking output too high but called too late.
      I’ve ordered a oem johnson service manual but it won’t be here until Jan 30th so until then I thought id ask for input.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If it has no regulator, then that would be normal. I am not a OMC guy but that was normal for older merc’s.

frankr
        Participant

Agreed.  It is normal.  Thousands of them out there running around like that, including mine.  Expect it might go even a bit higher.

DAN UMBARGER
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I was always under the impression that the OEM alternators were only 7 amps and COULD’NT put out that kind of voltage thus they only had a small rectifier. Not sure what amperage the CDI stators are but can’t be that much bigger can they? Have you tried a different volt meter?

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Voltage and amps are two different things…

you  coud can always install  a rectifier regular for a flat  voltage.     that way  some  eqpt like depth sounders won’t turn off due to  high voltage

peaks

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
              Participant

The rectifier that came with those motors did not provide any voltage regulation.  However, CDI now makes a REGULATED RECTIFIER for people that just stand to see 16V as normal.  BTW, the factory service manual says to just turn on some lights.

Txgunslinger
                Participant

Well when I had it in the water last week, the voltage display on my Garmin 740s read the same as the dash bolt meter. Today I checked the voltage at the motor and the battery and both were the same as the dash 15.3. My concern is I’ll dry the battery and have a meltdown while out fishing.
                  I’ll call CDI Monday

Txgunslinger
                  Participant

Won’t it dry the battery?

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

millions of motors work the same  and no issues. ….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had an old 1971,125 hp Johnson, that used to do the same thing. Back then, there WAS no optional regulator.So, I used to watch the voltage and run the power tilt in the down direction, occasionally to knock the voltage back down. You just need to add some more fishing equipment and lighting, to get it under control. You probably only need to find about five more amps. (You have the opposite problem from the Apollo 13 crew!)

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.