Home Forum Ask A Member $20 mystery motor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RE2Master
    Participant

Hello I bought a very old outboard today for only $20 and hope to restore it to running condition for a showpiece and hoped someone could help identify the make and year of it. All I know so far is it was non recoil it has the pull off starter rope on top. Integrated gas tank. 2 cylinder. Was repainted reddish orange but shows a dark greenish under areas. The motor will not spin freely at this time but I do plan to open it up and see what I am dealing with might just be frozen from years of non use. I havent found any numbers yet or old painted over plates but am planning a full teardown. From quick visual inspection it appears complete. I have pictures on my phone if anyone would like a peek. I do plan to join up as a full member soon here as I also have 2 antique Disney 1970s water sprite mini boats I am about to restore as well. Thanks for reading.

00S0S_ilYeq9M76Rb_600x450

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
      Tom
      Participant

US Member

It looks to be a Scott made off-brand motor, likely Firestone. I would guess the year at late 40’s.

T

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Agreed, a Scott-Atwater or variant.

Specifications

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
          • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by frankr.
          RE2Master
          Participant

Update, pulled off side covers and on it has number 465 18739. From all my searching online I’m guessing the two carry handles on each side are added later on. The Atwood site doesn’t show a prefix 465 but it referenced Firestone and a 7.5 motor. It does appear to have originally had a recoil pull shroud on it there are grooves that look like something belongs there but now just a pull rope. Poured some liquid wrench in the plug holes to see if I can free it up. Will post pictures as I tear down and clean up progress.

20190908_111706

20190908_111744

20190908_111748

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
            frankr
            Participant

US Member

Those are part numbers, not model numbers. By Scott’s tradition, the prefix is the first model number that particular part was used on. It may have been used a number of successive years. The rest of the number says it is a manifold, or whatever. So 465-xxxxx was first used on a model 465 (1946). Motor itself might be a 1946, 47, 48, or whatever.

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pull the three screws on the gearcase, might be messy. Look inside for a 1/2″ nut & a round nut on the shift shaft. Measure where the nut is on the threads & make note of it for reassembly. Let me know what the shafts & gears look like. I have extras & seals for this mtr I’ll never use. Also gently remove the small aluminum shift shaft guide. You will find a worn out O-ring seal that needs replaced. I have good gears & shafts + new bearing numbers ( Torrington brand I bet!
                Jeff

David Bartlett
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I kind of like the “Optional Carry Handles”

David Bartlett
                  Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.