Home Forum Ask A Member 3.6 HP Mercury carb questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

I’m working on a well-used, “darkside” (Mercury) for a neighbor that hasn’t run for many years and I have a couple of carb questions. The serial number is 5757744, and I can’t find that on any lookup sites. I have no idea what the year is. When I go online to marineengine, I found the exploded views by putting in SN 5404657 and up which I found as a possible beginning of a range in my old (2004) Sierra catalog. Exploded view below. After careful disassembly and cleaning, I learned how it works (much different than most other carbs); and cleaned it out good. Two questions:

1. Where should the float level be at? and how is it measured? It was so far off it was not closing the inlet valve.

2. The manual choke assembly, (parts 23 through 28) which is a spring-loaded brass piston that moves to block or allow a gas passage in the diagram below, is sticking in the choke OFF position and difficult to break loose. I think part 23 is hanging up on part 25, or else the piston on the end of part 23 is hanging up in the upper carb housing. I have put light oil on these parts but that didn’t help much. The piston and housing appear very smooth, as does the portions of part 23 that I can see. To remove part 23 from part 25, I think I have to take off part 27 to get at part 26 which I think holds 23 captive in 25. Can I pry off 27 and then disassemble? I’m hesitant to put too much force on part 27 because I don’t want to break it. Hopefully we have a Mercury expert here that has run across this problem before and can put me on the right track! Thank you!
      Dave

Merc-carb-3.6-2

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

I’ve been digging for a bit more info on this motor. What I’ve been able to find out is it was made from 1979-1985. It is referred to amongst some as the “gnat”. This thing doesn’t at all look like something Mercury designed and I suspect it was made for Mercury in Japan, or maybe China. The words “Mikuni Japan” are cast into the carb body. The recoil assembly looks like it belongs on a lawn mower. Propeller is plastic.

I’ve found a lot of new Mikuni carbs for sale online for $25 to $35, but not for this motor. Some of the carbs for other small engines and dirt bikes look similar but not close enough to use and not with the type of choke this 3.6 Mercury has. If I could buy a new carb for around $30, I wouldn’t mess with the old one anymore!

Per my first post, any info on the sticking choke assembly, and the float height adjustment would be greatly appreciated. If no float info is available I can probably adjust that with an educated guess.
        Dave

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

probably Hong Kong made I just worked on a 1994 3.3 Evinrude H3RERM and some parts look the same like the screw down top with the funny needle (HS ) poking the heart of the carb

seems Evinrude and Merc both had these 3.0 – 3.5hp motors made in Hong Kong

looked 3.5 Merc and 3.6 hp and they have the same carb

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

I did some searching online for the carb and learned that Mikuni is a big time carb maker, making carbs for a wide range of ATVs, motorcycles, and a bunch of small engines, like Tecumseh. I’ve found about 100 of their carbs for sale online, and some are like the one on this 3.6 Mercury, but none with that goofy piston choke. Unless I get more tips by tomorrow, I’m going to carefully pry part #27 off #25 and see if I can resurface parts so they slide without binding up.

What is the gas/oil mix for these motors? The current owner has never run it and doesn’t know. If I don’t hear otherwise, I’ll tell him 24 to 1 to be on the safe side.
            Dave

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by outbdnut2.
            billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I finally found my service manual. (90-43183)

Setting the float level is indeed odd: The trick is, you hold the carb upside down and hold the float so that it just touches the float pin. You don’t let it collapse the float pin. While holding just touching, the height from the bowl flange to the bottom of the round float should be 7/8″ to 31/32″.

Although the manual shows the choke assembly disassembled, it does not have specific wording on how to do it. #27 is a “rubber cap” and under that, is #26, the retaining clip. Prying off the rubber cap seems a safe bet.

I have no info on fuel ratio but I bet it was 50:1. I’d be real happy and confident with 24:1.

There weren’t many of them around in my area. Those like yours are technically not “Gnats,” which were named so only the first year and were TWO cylinder, 4 hp. They pretty much stunk (The Mercury tech rep called them “f—ing Guh-Nants.” but they are cool, in that the real Gnats were the last Fond Du Lac produced, American portable motors. When they started with the Mikuni carbs and everything else, it started getting vague about their origin. Be very diligent about the gear oil. They did tend to lunch gears if they lost any of the small amount of gear oil they had. I would check it after every use; but that’s just me.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by billw.
              outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Hey Bill – Thanks for the info! That rubber cap, part #27, has gotten so hard, I thought it may be rubber coated steel. The hardness of it may be causing it to bind up on the brass part #23 that has to slide through it.

I noticed a subtle thing about the design of the carb. It appears that each time you use the choke, a small amount of gas/oil mix stays behind to lubricate the choke’s piston where it slides in the carb body.

The farther I look, the more small things I’m finding – like somebody put the wrong carb mounting gasket on that did not have a cutout for choke fuel to pass through from the carb to the engine. I think I can finish the carb now and then move on to the next problem which is why the mag plate moves so hard to advance the spark. The only reason I’m sticking with getting this piece of junk working is that the owner came along and stopped to help when my ’51 Buick (another hobby) was dead on the side of the road, so I want badly to help him out. He pushed me home with his old car. This 3.6 has been used so much, the molded mounting bolt holes for the gas tank have busted out and somebody put a big adjustable metal clamp band around the whole tank and part of the engine to hold it on. I will also check gear oil before I try to start it. Fortunately the thing has spark.

The one feature I like about the motor is the easily accessible knob for adjusting steering tension.

Your reference to the 4 HP reminded me that a friend gave me three old motors in trade for one nice one a few years ago and one of them is a 4 HP Mercury that I haven’t touched yet. I’ll have to see just what it is and if it’s the “gnat” you described.
                Thanks again for the info!
                Dave

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

Bill – For that float adjustment, you mentioned the float touching the float pin without “collapsing” it. On this motor, there is only a solid, one piece float needle like most other outboards have – no spring or anything else to “collapse”. I wonder if something is missing. Could be because I see signs that someone else has gone into the carb and messed around, and the float adjustment was off pretty far like maybe there should be something else above the float needle to take up some of that space. Curiously, the float needle does not show on the exploded view I posted, but the float valve seat #11, does show so I can’t tell what should be there looking at that.

Am I missing a float valve part?
                  Dave

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Hey – there is a spring-loaded pin on top of that float valve needle! It’s so small I didn’t notice it first time around. the don’t collapse while adjusting makes sense now! Hope I can get this turd out of my shop soon!
                    Dave

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by outbdnut2.
                    outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

I got it together and got the binding choke working – several issues there, some because somebody else messed it up worse.

That float was interesting in that the weight of the float, when held upside down, was enough to push the spring-loaded pin in about half way on the float valve. I adjusted the float to the spec you gave me holding the float up so it just touched the spring loaded pin but did not compress it.

I’ll see if it runs tomorrow!
                      Dave

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The way they want you to adjust it is strange but that’s exactly what the manual said to do.

The power head appears to be based on the old school, Mercury single cylinder power head that goes back to the 1960s 3.9 hp. When right, those actually didn’t run too bad for a one lunger. You may be surprised….

Funny thing about the two-cylinder “Gnat” type engines: They had an integral fuel tank, like yours. They would run out of gas with half a tank of fuel left, because the bottom of the gas tank was lower than the carb inlet. Can’t make this stuff up. If you bought one that had the optional fuel pump and remote tank connector, then that wouldn’t happen. I don’t know what the tank/carb level relationship is on yours; but be advised that it might be possible to run out of gas unless the tank is quite full…..

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.