Home Forum Ask A Member ‘37 4.4 hp evinrude

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Geer Pyron
    Participant

I got my rings today!
      They are correct.
      Started to put everything back together, but had to stop because I’m unsure of a few things. Maybe some one can help.
      First, connecting rod screws and cap. Is it acceptable to grind off the taps, or pinched part that hold those screws in place? How does one torque them down and how tight?
      Do I have to take the wrist pin out and the piston off?But then, if I do, how do I reinstall it? Seems like it would take some hammer blows to re install.
      I guess I’m unsure of the choreography or order of operation.
      ALSO! wuz the dealio with the muffler? It seems to have the same issue as the KS-15 in regards to carbon build up. It was totally clogged around the exhaust tube and what I’m assuming is the tell tale water spout(?). How important is it to have that area free and clear? Doesn’t seem as important As the KS.
      Anyhoo, thanks.
      G

JMGP

wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Lots of questions

1. Do not remove any material from the rods unless it’s cracked and might otherwise fall off.
        2. You can use an adapter for screwdriver heads on a torque wrench for the con rod screws. In the old days they would just snug them up by hand and peen over over the brass. You can do it that way, as well. I use LokTite on the threads.
        3. You don’t have to remove the wrist pins unless they are failing.
        4. Remove all that carbon. It will hinder exhaust flow which may cause running issues. Gas and oil of the time didn’t mix or burn well. You won’t have this problem with modern premix.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by wbeaton.
        Geer Pyron
        Participant

Yea, I know, lots of questions, and thank you for answering them.
          Sounds easy peezy. I tend to overthink things and get worried that I’m going to ruin something.
          I got all the carbon out of the area of the exhaust tube/muffler.
          As far as reinstalling the pistons and cylinders, is it normally so…. awkward? I was going to say difficult, but it not hard, just a weird angle to get at the con. rod screws. Maybe that’s why the slots are so deep?
          My ol’ man came by and saw this current project and was blown away. In his words,”Lad, it is beautiful!”
          Hope it runs beautifully.
          G

JMGP

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

“Is it always so awkward?” – Yes. Some motors are worse than others. It wasn’t until manufacturers started splitting the crankcase that things got easier.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.