5.5hp filter bowl gasket $$$$$$$

Home Forum Ask A Member 5.5hp filter bowl gasket $$$$$$$

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2717
    Topics: 269

0303122 – Filter Bowl Gasket

pricy little thing…… around 9$ usa  🙁   plus shipping taxes,   exchange  %….. +++  🙁

will a o-ring do the job or home made cut gasket

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 5681
    Topics: 884

I’ve used “good” dense cell cork gasket material before that worked okay.

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 6136
    Topics: 49

I’ve used an o-ring.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok  orings are  at hand so will try  it  first

reivertom

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 739
    Topics: 38

Dang, that is a bit pricey. Time to break out the exacto knife.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1697
    Topics: 53

I dunno. Yeah, it’s pricey but it beats catching on fire and blowing up…That being said, I like the cork material idea. It seems like a standard o-ring might distort and move out of place over time.

Long live American manufacturing!

jimk

Replies: 66
    Topics: 27

I had found some on ebay that probably would work for a lot less but it ended up about half the thickness of the factory. Ended up breaking down and getting a factory one when I had a list of other parts to order so shipping didnt seem so bad. It is expensive for what it is. The bigger side mount bowl gasket isnt as bad but close!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ll try  few options…. suggested cork sounds be very brittle to cut-up  but we shall see.

I may try  grinding  a  piece of tubing or two to  make a punches .  I got time but thankfully the

New-England  big snow dump (18-24 inches)  missed Montrteal  🙂

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

Well I ended up using a carburator/power head   gasket …    the ID hole fits nicely for the glass bowl  and all I had to do was trim away the OD  to fit the carb bowl recess in the carb body.

hopefully it will do the job  if not   I’ll  just install  a more appropriate  gasket after  sea  (lake) trials next summer.     Currently the  prop  would suffer to much damage 🙂

Matthew Pieklik

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 73
    Topics: 32

I had a Sierra filter bowl gasket move out of place on my 40 HP lark. I will stick with OEM.

aquasonic

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 539
    Topics: 38

I dunno. Yeah, it’s pricey but it beats catching on fire and blowing up…That being said, I like the cork material idea. It seems like a standard o-ring might distort and move out of place over time.

I’m going to agree with Bill.  Around ten years ago, I substituted an o-ring for a fuel cap gasket on a Johnson HD-25. The o-ring ended up squashing and slid out of place. While the motor ran in the test tank, fuel leaked out of the cap, down between the starter housing, and the tank, and onto the powerhead. Of course, I didn’t notice this happening.

After finishing with the test tank, I held the motor in my hands and slowly pulled the starter handle to help the motor drain. Then heard a “pop”, looked down, and the motor was on fire in my hands. Now in a panic, I heaved the motor about 20′ off of my deck. The problem was it was only about six feet from the house foundation.

Thank goodness the garden hose was on and between myself and the motor, which at this point, had flames shooting out from under the cowl and also from the fuel cap. Spraying the motor with water did nothing to put out the flames. Finally, I mustered the courage to get close enough to blast the water up and under the lower cowl. At last the fire was out.

So after this very memorable experience, if the application calls for a flat rubber washer, please use the correct flat rubber washer!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.