Home Forum Ask A Member 50’s OMC Fuel line clamps

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    twostroke
    Participant

Is there a special tool or a particular curse word needed to deal with the OEM style clamps on two-line OMC tanks and fuel line connectors? I’m getting ready to restore a few tanks and am at a loss how to deal with these. I’ve tried every word in my rather extensive (foul) vocabulary….and the clamp still wins.

Thanks!

Jim

Attachments:

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

chris-p
      Participant

Wrap a hose clamp around it, tighten it down, then pull it off. Done!

david-bartlett
        Participant

I don’t have a pic because I am not home but get a cheap pair of pliers and grind a half round groove in each jaw so when you squeeze the clamp it will apply pressure all the way around.

PugetSoundBoater
          Participant

Chris and David- those are both very good installation methods for those clamps. I am getting ready to do a couple tanks,and have been wondering how to install those correctly. Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
            Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
            Participant
              quote twostroke:

Is there a special tool or a particular curse word needed to deal with the OEM style clamps on two-line OMC tanks and fuel line connectors? I’m getting ready to restore a few tanks and am at a loss how to deal with these. I’ve tried every word in my rather extensive (foul) vocabulary….and the clamp still wins.

No need to learn a second language. Just need a Loonie in your pocket to buy a CHEAP pair of no-name disposable pliers at your local dollar store. Like David says, grind out the jaws a bit so they will fit around the clamps. Working the new crimping tool around the clamps while pinching them down will make for a neat, factory look to the end result. Scuffing the clamps first with a fine wire wheel first will make the brass shine. The clamps in the photos are ‘as found’ with sixty years of grime on them.

Attachments:

amuller
              Participant

Two other suggestions: I’m not sure of the dimensions of these offhand, but flaring tools may contain a size that works. Also, the tools used for PEX crimp rings will work for some sizes, mostly larger than you are dealing with here.

reivertom
                Participant

US Member

Why didn’t I think of the "hose clamp" method?…..too easy I guess. I was over thinking it. I am definitely making me a set of clamp pliers, though.

twostroke
                  Participant

Thanks for all the input….I took a new clamp and a pair of Snap-On pliers to a buddy that’s a tool and die genius that usta’ make all sorts of stuff for me when I was racing sleds. I’ll post pics of what he sends back….Knowing him, it’ll be a masterpiece.

Thanks for the input!

JIm

I say "pardon me" a lot. I had a 20H, then raced open mod sleds.

billy-j
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What I do is prepare the twin fuel line. Take a sharp knife and separate the air and fuel the appropriate length to install on tank or fuel end. Then take the clamp rings and form them in a nice round circle like they were originally then I close the gap (the ”V” shaped ends) until they touch. You will have to slightly bend one end under the other and squeeze clamp to close the end completely to take out the spring in the metal so the ends will touch. Then bend the end back up forming a perfect circle with the ends touching. Take the clamps and install them onto the hose where they belong without bending the clamps open. Use a little lube ( oil ) Lubricate the nipples on the tank or fuel end and also put a little lubricant on the inside of rubber hose then push them on. You will have to start them both on the air fuel nipples then work them on in unison. USE FINESSE they should go on good and you should not have to put to much force on nipples if you started them on correctly and lubed they will just push on. Once you start pushing them on best not to stop till done. I have been doing it this way for years and you can’t get them any tighter. Bill,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.