Home Forum Ask A Member 55hp Chrysler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    yooperrigged
    Participant

US Member

Ok I just went over to a friend’s house to see his newly acquired boat and motor. The motor is a 1974 55hp Chrysler (ya I know) and we checked for spark. Spark in both cylinders…then we shot a little gas in the carb…spark disappeared. Starter still has juice. Perhaps something shorted quickly. Does this scenario sound familiar to anyone? Any leads are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Kind of hard to imagine “nursing” it with gas having anything to do with loss of spark. Do you know what kind of ignition it has?

EDIT: Chryslers are reasonably good motors, just not as popular.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by frankr.
        yooperrigged
        Participant

US Member

It has the magnapower ignition system. The wiring appears disheveled and I was wondering about a problem with the switch. I guess we will have to systematically try to unravel this mystery by eliminating the obvious and cheapest problems first.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

It’s been forever since I’ve messed with a Chrysler, but did they have a Magnapower with points and a Magnapower optical system?

Anyhoo, I found this while searching you-tube. Very educational.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_F1jh-pr3o&list=PLwLV0K4KRS91pbFJYPzWjRP_-k3Is9Q3z

amuller
            Participant

I think–but am not sure–that this motor may have a “Motorola/MagnaPower” ignition with points and an (expensive to replace) CD box. Steps I would take (1) Identify for sure what ignition you have (2) check over and repair all wiring as necessary (3) check points.

It is possible for an ignition that has been sitting to be deteriorated to a point where it fires a few times and then gives up.

If you have fire-on-break points, it *may* be possible to convert it to conventional inductive coil ignition as a last resort.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.