Home Forum Ask A Member 56 Johnson Auction Find

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bill-m
    Participant

Just went to my very first auction and picked up the five & half Johnson I asked about a couple weeks ago. The motor turns over but to my thinking a little too easy. It looks like a casting that holds what I believe is the throttle cable has broken off and was replaced by something hand made. There is also a bumper on the inside of the hood that is broken off which I will have to easy-out and replace. I want this to be my first daily runner with a reverse so cosmetics and original parts is not a major factor.Other than that all the rubber and everything under the hood looks good. I will put it in the test barrel in the near future before do anything else with it. I also got the fuel tank which looks a little rough on the outside but is very clean on the inside. I have two manuals, one is a parts manual for 1956 Johnson CD, CD13, and CD13A. According to the original owner’s notes it is a CD13A. What is the difference between these three if there is even one? The other manual is the operating manual for Evenrude 5512 and 5513. Will this manual be good for a Johnson CD13A? I got this whole thing for $25.00 so I think I can put a little money into it.

five-a-half-Johnson-012

five-a-half-Johnson-015

five-a-half-Johnson-016

five-a-half-Johnson-014

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.
      olcah
      Participant

US Member

Differences between the CD, CD13, CD13A would usually be identified by alternate parts and part numbers in the parts catalog. Suggest looking at the powerhead section for differences in the bearings and seals.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by olcah.
        • This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by olcah.
        BayouBengal
        Participant

I think you got a pretty good deal!

frankr
          Participant

US Member

There were a few mid-year changes in the 1956 model year, identified by the “A”. The changes will be indicated in the parts book. Evinrude and Johnsons were identical except for different hoods and the parts to hold the hood.

I love the Martin knob on the “throttle” rod

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
            tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

Heck yea cool gas can and got the motor for free!

It's a jungle out there.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The gas can is worth more than that if it is in good shape inside….Yeah, someone broke the steering handle, but those are easy to find…The powerhead has to come off anyway to pull the gearcase, so changing the steering handle should be easy….You mention that it seems to pull over a little too easily….Check compression, hopefully it has not thrown a rod….There is plenty of detail work needed to make this a reliable daily runner, but not too much money involved….

jarheaddoc
                Participant

I always wonder what happened to a motor when I see a fix like that.

The low compression could be any number of things, as I’m sure you know: rings stuck from sitting, worn cylinder(s), bad head gasket, other things I can’t recall right now…. I am a big fan of SeaFoam to give an engine a good internal cleaning. I have had good luck with it when it came to unstickifying rings from motors that have set for too long. Someone here, many many moons ago, told me that a quick down and dirty test for enough compression to at least start can be determined by if the motor makes a puck-puck-puck type sound when pulled over at cranking speed. (Frank Robb’s name comes to mind.)

Don’t forget to check the coils, as original ones of that era, even if they look good, can be defective due to the plastic covering.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.