Home Forum Ask A Member 58 Evinrude 35 Grounding Issue?

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    outbdnut2
    Participant

US Member

Use of starting fluid spray is not a good idea because it washes the oil off the bearings. Sprays that say they contain lubricants are better that the ones that don’t, but they were developed for 4-stroke cars, not 2-stroke motors. I have, on occasion , used spray, but very little and only once. These motors need the oil in the gas. Your gas/oil mix is 25 to 1. Oils that say 50 to 1 or 100 to 1 on the container should still be mixed 25 to 1 for your motor. That’s 1 quart of oil to 6 gallons of gas.
      Dave

Gary Richey
      Participant

I won’t do it again, but I sure was happy!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Complete tank hoses with connectors and a primer bulb are available from BRP/OMC and aftermarket suppliers. Please be sure the gearcase in deep in a bucket of water before trying to start the engine, even just for a few seconds, you don’t want to burn up the water pump impeller…

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by fleetwin. Reason: addition
          Gary Richey
          Participant

I looked at the link to the Sierra fuel line tank kit. it looks good but says the ID is 3/8″. Is that correct for my motor? And there are a number of short fuel line sections in the motor (carb, fuel pump, etc.) – these are all 3/8″ also? Considering their age I’d like to replace them also (and with new clamps). I should look for A1-15 fuel line? Thank you for the help.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

There is no maximum size for fuel lines as long as the connector fits the end. Anything 5/16 or larger will work, but the connector ends have to match the line. If you force a connector with a 3/8 nipple onto a 5/16 line, if you can get it on, it will stress it and could lead to early failure. A connector meant for 5/16 line installed on a 3/8 line will likely not seal up well when clamped. I’ve seen connectors with nipples in both sizes. The short sections of fuel line in the motor can be replaced with automotive gas line from any auto parts store. I don’t know offhand what sizes you motor has. Take each line off, cut it somewhere away from the end where it has been stretched and measure the inside diameter. You may find more than one size rubber line in the motor.

If you replace the connectors on the gas line with aftermarket ones, read the fine print on the package. There are connectors that look the same, but have a different size hole in the end to mate with the motor and tank. The ones with a slightly large hole are metric and fit some late Mercurys and some or all Yamahas. They will not seal up to Johnsons and Evinrudes.

Dave

joecb
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just love this discussion thread, it truly demonstrates how one grows in the knowledge that many of us incorrectly assume is obvious. Gary is asking the right questions and thanks to this forum is getting helpful answers. I suspect that in no time he will be the “expert” and in a position to pass on the knowledge and help others.
                That said, and the “forum ” is a great tool nothing beats face to face and hands on. I always encourage someone new to old outboards and boating to bring their rig out to a local meet where there will be ample help.. hands on

Joe B

Gary Richey
                Participant

Thank you for the encouraging reply. I sometimes think my questions are pretty simplistic, especially to to many of the very knowledgeable forum responders. I always thought of outboard motors as very intimidating items and when I bring up the topic to friends and acquaintances who I consider reasonably decent mechanics, they ALL say something like “Oh, I don’t know anything about them and good luck finding someone who does.” As far as becoming an expert sometime down the road, well, I doubt it, but I will know a bunch about an Evinrude 35 Lark and I would gladly share what knowledge I have with anyone out there. I only wish I had reached out to the AOMC sooner, as maybe my boat would be in the water by now. Thanks guys, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.