Home Forum Ask A Member A Seagulls second chance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    thepetrolist
    Participant

Hi there guys!

I just started a new series of updates over at the Petrolist blog, in case you are interested in checking it out!
      I’m going to bring a 1960 Century back to life. Not restoring it, just bringing it to life since it is in quite a good condition.

http://www.thepetrolist.blogspot.com

Tune in for regular updates

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Hi Petrolist
        Question for you.
        I see that you have an old Wickström inboard, so there must be an interest for old antique outboards too, I guess.
        But,……I see that the majority of your outboards are from the 60ties.
        Why ??
        You live in the land of the "thousand lakes" and I know there are a lot of very old engines to be found there, even in the neighbour country Sweden are still a lot to be found.
        What about the "Archimedes" and the "Penta" models, what about the "Nopsa" outboard from Finland ?
        Do you know that Finland has one of the biggest outboard museum in Europe ?
        The owner is Nils ( Nisse ) Häggblom, try to keep in contact with him, make an appointment and go to see his collection.
        You will be surprised by all the brands and all the old models he has in the collection.
        I know when you have the first real old one in your hands , you are hooked to the beauty and old fashioned technology.
        Good luck

thepetrolist
        Participant

Hi there Kees! Thanks for the shown interest.

Well, I see your point. The thing is.. I don’t care too much about the Finnish or Swedish brands, other than Wickström and Olympia. The Finnish outboard brands never were any good (not even as new), and I just simply like the American and British brands better. Does that make any sense?
          I recently had (well, still have) the chance to buy a early 50’s Archimedes but I think I’ll pass.

I’ve chosen to focus mainly on outboards mostly based on convenience. My Wickström weighs well over 200 kgs, and since I’m mostly alone in my workshop (well, basement..) I got tired of tearing it apart and putting it together every time I had to get it in or out of the basement 🙂 when I find a better place I’ll sure get some more inboards too.
          And, people here in Finland seem to think that just because an engine is old it’s automatically worth tons of money, which makes them cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Thanks for the tip about the museum, I wasn’t aware of that!

And since we’re talking about the Wickström, here are some pics:

Take care!

phil-b
          Participant

Love all that brass…. It looks like it makes espresso!

kees
            Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Phil B
              speaking about "espresseo"
              the nickname for the early outboard ( the Rowboat Motor ) with the wooden startknob on the flywheel is;
              "Kaffekvarn" , what means in English ; coffee mill ! 😆

Petrolist
              Google search for Nils ( Nisse ) Häggblom and you will find a homepage, I have heard that he has museums on other places too, at least three buildings with old motors.
              Must be nice to see it once .
              I am from the Netherlands so maybe I grab my chance when I can. 😀
              For you much easier, see the phone number and dial !

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.