Home Forum Ask A Member Adding Generator

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    billy-j
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure the flywheel you found is even correct for that engine?  You do know a generator takes some horsepower to run. I have a Johnson 30 with electric start. The battery last a long time and many starts. Why don’t you just run it as is and put a battery trickle charge or battery maintenance charger on it once and a while to maintain battery.

Gary Pasquale
      Participant

Your right, that is exactly what I will do…no generator.

amuller
        Participant

I agree.  You can get quite a few starts out of even a garden tractor battery, and the recoil starter is there if you need it.   I’d say the only real need for a generator is if you want to run electronics, or if you motor was electric shift (but in that case it would already have a generator).

The Boat House
          Participant

todd281
            Participant

Another issue. If you install the solid-state regulator, the only disconnect from the generator is the key switch. If you leave the key switch in the on/run position, and the motor is not running, the generator acts as an electric motor, drawing juice from the system. It is also trying to turn the motor over but, does not have enough power to do so. It sits idle, in a dead short situation. Damaging the generator in a short time. This can be overcome with an extra switch as a disconnect, but that one more thing to remember to turn on and off at the correct time. If you find the correct regulator, non-solid state, [Good luck] this is not an issue.  My advice is also, unless it is needed, I would not install it.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.