Home Forum Ask A Member air drier on compressor?

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    jiall2
    Participant

air compressor is 8.6 CFM @ 90#. I have a Harbor Freight 40# blue tube type that needs 8.5 CFM @ 90# an it worked good for awhile then I had it in storage for over a year and when I tried it it was very iffy. Sometimes it work and sometimes not. So I bought a red pot style from Harbor Freight abrasive blaster with a soda attachment. That worked great for about 1/2 hour and started to give me trouble. I just think it is moisture and if I get the right dryer set-up I’ll be OK. THANKS

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

How big is the tank?
        More storage is better when using a lot of air.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

amuller
        Participant

It has been my experience that compressor output is exaggerated (especially on "consumer" compressors) and tool air consumption is understated, very often leaving people frustrated when they are trying to get work done….

johnny-infl
          Participant

Jiall – one area of concern is the area at the end of the pick-up tube. the soda could be hanging up there
            and you manually have to shake the pot now and then, tap it with a 2×4 or rubber mallet and open and close the valve
            to get the soda flowing again.
            even with dry material, it happens. just the nature of the beast. even with sand and other media.
            even though you purchase soda in new bags at the Big Box Store, you do not know how it was stored. (humidity, etc).
            so it may be compromised even before you use it.
            also, you mentioned that your media pot was in storage for a year . . . did you remove the siphon tube and any other parts to inspect
            for any rust or corrosion that could be impeding the flow of material ?? the pick-up tube must be as smooth as glass on the inside.

soda is very similar to baking flour, it is dry in the bag but becomes clumpy due to its own weight and storage
            with hundreds of pounds of other flour on top of it. this is why the kitchen flour sifter was invented for the cooks.
            try this – – – on your next "new" bag of soda, remove all material from the pot, sift all the soda through a window screen
            and dry it in the oven and sift again prior to putting it in your media pot….. and during the blasting process,
            shake the pot occassionally and open and close the valve to help maintain the even flow of material.
            this process may elimate or at least reduce some of your frustrations. also upgrade to a better moisture filter than
            the one that came with your pot. what size grit of soda are you using ? fine-medium-coarse ? I think the medium size
            flows easier than the fine or coarse with the correct pressure and CFM.
            On a commercial scale, I have a 80 gallon, 125psi, 26cfm compressor with a 60 gallon piggy-back reservoir tank (old compressor)
            and a commercial moisture trap . . . . so I do not experience many issues with media flow and delivery.

and just for clarification; the word "tank" refers to the air compressor tank or any air reservoir
            and the word "pot" refers to the container that holds the blasting media…….

keep us in the loop if you find something that works for you !!!

jiall2
            Participant

I put a new desiccant air dryer in the system and all is well. Thanks for all of the help!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.