Home Forum Ask A Member Airguide tach for ’79 Evinrude 35 question

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Airguides typically came with a separate "transmitter" or module or whatever you want to call it. The transmitter matches the gauge to whatever motor you plan to use it on. As for your potted one, I’ll plead ignorance also.

wetwillie
      Participant

Okay, that confirms that we’re referring to the same item. As for potting, that was term I always heard used for the practice companies used to prevent someone from determining what components were used to make a particular electronic device. The module housing is filled with a black epoxy like substance that’s hard as a rock. The only labeling on it refers to the wire colors and where they are to be connected to. In this case 1. Red lead to — Ind (or red Ind lead). 2. Green lead to –Ind (or green Ind lead). 3. Grey lead to "Tach lead. 4. Black lead to "Tach Grd". 5. Yellow lead to + 12 volts.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Yeah, potting is potting. And it doesn’t seem to jibe with the jumpers chart (??). But the hookup sounds pretty straight-forward. Anyhoo, it sounds more and more like even if it works, it will read incorrectly.

wetwillie
          Participant

Well then, a tach that reads incorrectly is IMHO nothing more than a dash ornament. Too bad for me as this one is as near to perfect as one can imagine. I guess I’ll list it on eBay. None the less, thanks a lot, Frank. I really appreciate your help.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.