Home Forum Ask A Member Alternative gear case screw??? 1955 RDE-17 25 hp Johnson

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

The Boat House
      Participant

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It’s like Frank says, the OEM screws should be used for the reasons mentioned. That being said, tis a shame OMC could not have put a thinner slot/allen/phillips on those screws cuz they sure do “bugger” easily….Some of the clam shell gearcases use a phillips, but yours uses that pesky slotted screw…..

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

……..But the hardware does not have washer that will fit in the recess of the clam shell

if need be you should be able to reduce the diameter of a ” to big a washer” by sqweezing it between 2 nuts and spinning it on a grinder wheel with your drill

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
            Participant

Look around for a later model parts motor. Chances are it will have Phillips head screws which are an improvement over the straight slotted screws. And yes, a hand held impact with the correct bit will be needed to install/uninstall them without damaging them.

vintin
              Participant

Mumbles I’m in the market for a hand held impact driver.

Got any suggestions on good one?

I’m in a buying mood!

Mumbles
                Participant

I prefer a 3/8″ drive over a 1/2″ drive for use around outboards. Try your local auto supply or tool store for one. One thing I’ve noticed lately is all the new ones are smaller in diameter than the old ones but they are supposed to work OK. Being smaller, I’ll bet I know where they are made.

IMGP0340

DSC00067

retiredoz
                  Participant

US Member

I’d think about getting a 1/4 ” 18 or 20 volt electric impact wrench- ample poop to remove 99 % of nuts or bolts or screws you’re likely to encounter on an outboard. A real time-saver to boot.. HF sells several models from $40 and up….

billy-j
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

What I did was to get a large old screw driver and used my bench grinder to grind the screwdriver blade to fit these screws perfectly and I only use this screwdriver for these specific screws.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

The electric or air impact drivers certainly are worthwhile, however for screwdriver-type screws, the hand impact driver is much better because the hammer blow keeps the driver bit seated in the slot (or Phillips) at the same time as torque is applied.

Conclusion: You need both.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.