Home Forum Ask A Member Another Javelin question: starter motor

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    nj-boatbuilder57
    Participant

Great info!

This page is not in my service manual…..I’m sure glad to have it. Thanks!

billy-j
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles said. Before shelling out for a new starter, why not remove the lower end cap and check the condition of the lower thrust washer? If it is badly worn or missing, it will allow the armature to drop causing the commutator segments to short out to the end cap. Symptoms of this are a dragging starter and high current draw. I agree with Mumbles you can not expect a 60 year old starter to work as new. A 1956 starter is very simple to take apart. Make some match marks on the housing and end cap and take it apart. It might just need to be cleaned up and the bearings lubricated and brushes cleaned up or replaced.

billy-j
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles said. Before shelling out for a new starter, why not remove the lower end cap and check the condition of the lower thrust washer? If it is badly worn or missing, it will allow the armature to drop causing the commutator segments to short out to the end cap. Symptoms of this are a dragging starter and high current draw. I agree with Mumbles you can not expect a 60 year old starter to work as new. A 1956 starter is very simple to take apart. Make some match marks on the housing and end cap and take it apart. It might just need to be cleaned up and the bearings lubricated and brushes cleaned up or replaced. regards Bill,

nj-boatbuilder57
          Participant

Hey guys,

Just thought I’d circle back on this with an update.

I disassembled the old starter, and while nothing looked "wrong", everything looked old & dirty & worn. I took the armature to work and meggered the windings, and the results were "meh" at best.

So I bought a new motor, and…SHAZAM!!…instant success! My clamp-on is at work, so I can’t tell you what the starting FLA is, but I can tell you that my boat battery (which I had suspected to be tired, as it wouldn’t turn over the engine with the old starter at all) has no trouble at all turning the motor over with ease. So I’m certain the FLA is *WAY* below that of the old motor. I’ll measure it next week when I can bring my meter home.

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

rjoynt
            Participant

US Member

What did you end up buying? Price?

nj-boatbuilder57
              Participant

Well, that’s an interesting question….. At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate:

I looked at the Arco. It was about $140 + freight, if I recall correctly. Made in the USA, which is a big deal for me. I’ll pay extra to get American-made quality and keep American’s working. But I called them to ask them what the FLA & LRA values for their motor was, asked about torque curves, etc. and their reply was absurd: "We don’t really think about our motors in those terms".

Huh? Those *ARE* the terms in which motors are specified.

And our conversation went downhill from there; they were fully & completely INcapable of discussing their motor in any meaningful, relevant technical / electrical way. Didn’t leave me with any confidence whatsoever.

So I went to eBay and found a virtually-identical unit that claimed exact replacement status for all of the associated OMC part numbers. I’m sure it’s some Chinese knockoff (brand name "Gladiator"), but it was $52, free shipping from some supply house in Dallas. Even though no electrical specs were available, I figured the $100 savings was worth a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JOHNSON-EV … 2749.l2649

Note that the eBay description has a misprint. It states this is a 10-tooth gear which concerned me, but looking at the pic you can clearly figure that this has 11 teeth, per OMC specs.

Will it last? Is it junk? Way too soon to know / tell. The eBay seller has a solid rating, so hopefully it’s decent. Ask me in a year if I "saved" anything at all!! 🙂

olcah
                Participant

US Member

Well, as a year has passed and I also have a Javelin, Did you get to use your “Gladiator” starter much? If so how did it go?
                  Thank you..

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by olcah.
                  nj-boatbuilder57
                  Participant

It works great.

I’m not really welcome around here anymore, so if you want more details, e-mail me directly.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

It works great.

I’m not really welcome around here anymore, so if you want more details, e-mail me directly.

What???? Who???? Why???? I’d say you are welcome, and apologize if I or anybody else offended you.

olcah
                      Participant

US Member

As a fellow member I am glad you are here. For example this thread is very interesting/informative.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.