Home Forum Ask A Member Basic piston ring questions

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    garry-in-michigan
    Participant

Lifetime Member

In 1885 one of the workers mining feldspar (Tectosilicate) noticed how smooth and shiny the shovels they were using became, and in 1886 started selling it as a powder for cleaning and polishing, He named it Bon Ami. It worked so well that MR. Evinrude used it mixed with oil in the final assembly of his new Elto outboard. The assembled powerhead was run on a lath with the Bon Ami and oil mix in the cylinders for 15 minutes. Then it was disassembled and cleaned for final assembly. Then run in a tank and the carburetor adjusted. The adjustment was stamped on a tag attached to the needle valve, Oil was squirted into the cylinders and corks placed in the spark plug holes for shipment. New plugs were put in the tool kit bag to be installed by the Elto dealer or customer.

Now this micro polish is done with greater accuracy with diamond hones. So it is advertised that the New Evenrudes require no breaking period. . .

melugin
      Participant

US Member

Thanks Tubs and Garry. The Bon Ami is softer than pumice, “Hasn’t scratched yet.” That is their slogan. I am thinking about loading some grease with it to try seating rings. Wouldn’t be as messy as pouring thru.

Mumbles
        Participant

I’ve spun motors in the lathe before while fogging oil was being sprayed into the reeds to lube the rod and main bearings while it was being done. Any oil mess helps to keep the lathe from rusting.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

I believe we still have work to do on our site as my post seems to have disappeared . . .

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.