Home Forum Ask A Member Beginner Engine to Restore

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    cheetahgod
    Participant

What mercury outboard is the easiest to restore for a beginner?

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

I would say perhaps a KE-4/Mark-7 are pretty simple motors and easy to work on. As for more newer motors, the 6hp, 7.5, 9.8hp motors are nice motors that are not highly complicated.

Steve

green-thumbs
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The early KE4 had Bendix Magneto which have a pressed on magnet rotor that complicates renewing upper crankshaft seal. Look for a later KE4 or Mark 7 which have the easier to service Repco/Phelon magneto. If you like mechanical puzzles you will enjoy wrenching on an old outboard. Pick a motor that shows it was well cared for and has not been messed with.
          It is also a good idea to pick up a cheap junker of same model to practice on. There are quite a few KE4 /Mark 7 at meets and often fairly priced.
          Another choice is a late 50s – 60s OMC Lightwin for which parts are (much more)readily available

Louis

Mr. Hunn’s "This Old Outboard" has some advice as to which are easy to work on and which
          might best be left to others with experience and perhaps Mercury Service Tools.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

your proabably a Merc man at heart like I was….in my younger years but J&E are easy to work on

Duckworks has a nice article on restoring a 15hp
            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/col … index6.htm

and Leroy’s site has lots of info for you
            http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboar … icles.html

come out of the dark side 😈

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

pm-t2
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Why limit your scope to a Merc?

Try an antique. Johnson Light Twin, for instance. Still plentiful, parts not so difficult to find if you need em, the ignitions are virtually bullet-proof, and they are known to be among the best running antique motors of all time. easy-peasy to work on, even for a novice.

Just sayin’….

Best,
              PM T2

jeff-register
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Bendix rotor can be removed by using a pitman arm removal tool with Mr. Dremel adaption. You don’t want a Mercury Mark 28 unless you are in for much work. Just ask Frank. What HP are you looking for?

auldscott
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ll second the motion that the 1961 and later 6, 7.5 and 9.8 hp motors are good candidates for a beginner – unless the beginner wants an earlier motor.

cheetahgod
                  Participant

Yeah I have a 7.5hp merc from 1980s I think. The problem is the parts for the ignition are very expensive

fisherman6
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you’re looking for something less costly to restore, it’s definitely worth looking at OMC. Mercs tend to be more expensive to repair and more difficult to get parts for.
                      -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

seakaye12
                      Participant

US Member
                        quote Cheetahgod:

Yeah I have a 7.5hp merc from 1980s I think. The problem is the parts for the ignition are very expensive

Hiya CG….

You know; some guys will pick up an older version of those Mercs from the late 60’s and swap over the ignition system to revert it back to the Phelon style magneto.

It’s not very hard at all….assuming you have a complete powerhead to pull all the little ditty parts from. Chances are if you post the serial number of your Merc here one of us can confirm that such a swap is possible.

Look over the lower unit of your Merc first; they can be expensive to repair as well if there’s been water intrusion and the associated rusty bearings. Have a look at the bearing right under the impeller….

Chuck

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.