Home Forum Ask A Member Can I apply heat to head bolt? Johnson RDE-17 1955 25 hp

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

Fleetwin-Yes its the only bolt left on

20mercman
      Participant

US Member

Add another vote for HEAT! As many of you know, I mostly delve into Mercury’s, and these have the dreaded exhaust cover bolts as well as water jacket cover bolts on Hurricane type blocks. These are sometimes just not going to come out without breaking them. I picked up a block from another forum member that came with 17 broken bolts in the block. I got them all out without drilling them. I use a TIG welder and build up a weld on the offending bolt until I can grab it with a vice grip. The heat from welding aids in loosening them. Once the head, exhaust cover, water jacket cover is off, you can have access to the meat of the area where the offending bolt is seized into. Apply lots of heat as quick as you can. This is where the acetylene comes in handy as you can add a lot of heat quickly and get out. I also have two propane torches. One gives a much hotter flame, so get a good one if you want to use propane. It can work just fine with a good torch assembly. As for the OMC head bolts, I agree that often the bolt is seized into the area around the head itself as well as the threaded portion.

Steve

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Here’s a couple head bolts I snapped off on my ’58 Johnson where I got in too much of a hurry and laid into the wrench before enough heat was applied. One broke off right under the bolt head and I was able to just double-nut that one, put the torch on it and it backed out after a few minutes. The other one in the background of the photo I took to my neighbor and we built that one up with his welder then welded a nut onto the stub. And as Steve noted, the welding heat alone was enough to back that one right out. Heat is the answer!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

drifter
          Participant

Just curious…..if no acetylene is available, would Mapp gas be of use?

bobw
            Participant

US Member

MAPP gas will work – not as hot as acetylene but hotter than propane.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.