Home Forum Ask A Member Can You refurbish Elgin ignition coils with OMC type coils?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    silvab7232
    Participant

I just popped open the flywheeel of a 1950’s Elgin 7.5 and the coils were completely shot. I would probably assume the same for the condensers. Is there any way I can slide off the coil of a Johnson evinrude (OMC) type ignition coil and slide it onto the Elgin style one? If I can, what precedures do I need to take to set it up correctly?

1257F1AF-78DB-402A-BEE2-01FB6FF89E27

23FCB9BC-7C07-4F83-A67D-C4F8C4A26F8A

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.
      jerry-ahrens
      Participant

US Member

You sure can. Just remove your old coil from the laminates, and slide the new OMC coil on. The original Wico laminates should have a tab that you bend over to secure. You can go ahead and use the original Wico condensers with the new OMC coils. Once in a while I’ve found a faulty one, but usually there still ok. Take a look at the Odd Job Motors website for detailed instructions.

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

I’ve done coil modifications on several antiques,—not classics, so I don’t know specifically about the Elgin mag plate. The main issue, if you plan to use OMC style coils, is the size of the core. I think Elgin cores are larger than the OMC. That being true the laminations would need to be reduced to the appropriate size by machining. –The other factor is routing the secondary.

Once those issues are addressed, yes you can use OMC coils and the appropriate condenser.

George

seakaye12
          Participant

US Member

Hi silvab, Yay the oddjobmotors site is back up. Go to this page
            and your questions will largely be answered. You can do an OMC coil swap as long as your
            particular laminates are 7/16″ thick,. Perhaps a bit of filing on the width will be required
            but that can be done quickly with a flat file.

http://www.oddjobmotors.net/tt1_replacewico_coil.htm

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
            • This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by seakaye12.
            The Boat House
            Participant

Test – 1 Part 2

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

The 7 1/2 doesn’t have the thicker laminations… the OMC coil goes right on. I’ve ran mine for several years with OMC coils and the original Wico condensers. I even have a picture!

Elgin-runs

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.
                jerry-ahrens
                Participant

US Member

Forgot to mention, the original Wico condensors are a wee bit off in terms of their capacitance rating, when used with the new 50s OMC coils. As I said, I have been running mine that way for several years with no issues. If you used your Elgin every weekend this way, you may burn the points a little over time…. but for the occasional user it works great. Trying to mount an OMC condenser on the Wico mag plate is tricky…. you could end up with a mess! I’ve did 3 Elgin’s so far, and all run good.

silvab7232
                  Participant

Thanks for the help, just got the new coil on the wico laminates, just a matter of installing and testing!

cajuncook1
                    Participant

This is a quote from Jim M and Art S website.

The 1946 – 1954 Wico magnetos used three types of coils. The early coils are brown and have a 5/8″ center lamination. These coils are usually still in good condition today and this type of magneto usually requires only a point cleaning and gapping to 0.020″, and perhaps new spark plug wires. The second version magneto has the 5/8″ laminations but the coils are covered with black plastic. These coils may be cracked but can be repaired with epoxy or other insulating material or they can be replaced with the earlier brown coils. The final magneto design uses black plastic covered coils with 7/16″ center laminations. These coils are quite often cracked and may require replacement. If this type coil does need replacement, a 1950s style OMC coil can be substituted. On most models, the Wico points have a bakelite slider that slides in a groove in the magneto plate. This slider should be cleaned and lightly lubricated. Old oil or dirt in the groove can make the points sticky which results in a poorly running motor.

I recently purchased a 1950 Elgin 7.5hp with 5/8th laminations with a black plastic coil and a good orange coil. I have a feeling the orange coil was placed later in the outboard’s life. Naturally the black plastic coil is cracked and no good.

If it would have had the 7/16 laminates then I would swap the cores with OMC coils. So, the decision is either purchase another Wico coil for about $70 to $80 dollars or try to find 7/16th laminates that will except omc coil bodies.

Jim M was reviewing with me that some of the earlier coils laminates were pinned to maintain correct placement on the magneto plate, so getting donor 7/16 laminates may not work.

Or I could modify the middle portiion of the 5/8 inch laminate so it could accept a 7/16 OMC coil.

Sorry guys, I originally was adding some using information to the post, but then I started thinking out loud….lol

Cheers,
                      Cajuncook1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.