Home Forum Ask A Member cleaning outside oil line on OMC 50’s motors

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GUY SCHMIDT
    Participant

US Member

These motors are getting pretty old and when you get one that hasn’t run for a long time, here is the question. Is it worth as a matter of caution to take that line off and clean it out?

I’m addressing the line that runs from the bottom main to the top bearing outside the engine. You guys that have worked on many of these older Johnsons and Evinrudes will know

how often and if ever you have had trouble with this line being clogged.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t fix if not broken…. but if you feel like  it  install clear fuel resistant tubing  and  see the action 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Whenever I’m doing a mechanical restoration on one of the 50s OMC classics, I’ll take that line off and blow some parts cleaner through it just to be sure it’s clear.  On all the ones I’ve done, I’ve never found one that had a plugged line, even on those that sat for many years before I got it.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

I’ve had the experience when I have taken off the rubber oil line on later 60’s OMC,s it actually crumbled.
            Something else to watch out for.

Bob D

GUY SCHMIDT
            Participant

US Member

Thanks for the input….so, if your taking it apart you might as well clean it, but typically they are not clogged so if your just trying to start the motor you probably don’t need to do the added step……..now, is there any way I can be sure that oi is getting to that top bearing?

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

to be certain use a clear line  and see the fuel/oil get pushed/sucked  up and in the top of the engine barb.  not much else you can do

see Johnson manul RED book page 231   and others  by mdl type.

experts can chime in but I doubt it would be clogged…. otherwise fuel-oil would accumulate down below  and   performance  symptoms would eventually develop .

millions of these  oiler lines work fine… can’t say I ever read anything bad  happening because of  a clogged one.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                billw
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

As far as the metal lines go, if you have the power head off, on the bench, it’s a pretty easy task to take it off and put it back on. When it’s mounted on a complete engine, if you decide to take it off, be VERY careful putting it back on. It is sometimes hard to get a wrench on the fittings, and the fittings will try to cross-thread, when reinstalling them. I would let a sleeping dog lie, personally.

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if you are apprehensive about  line blockage  …blockage from  whatever would clog the line could just as well get inside passages to block things  up to

may as well  try to  blow out any  crud inside  with  some air pressure & carb cleaner while you have the line disconnected.

again.. don’t fix it if it works !

GUY SCHMIDT
                    Participant

US Member

Thanks to all for your help…..I’ll heed your advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.