Common problems with the 6V Evinrude Starters?

Home Forum Ask A Member Common problems with the 6V Evinrude Starters?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)

• mr-asa

Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

Hey Mumbles, it looks like the thrust washer on this may be shot. In case the shop I’m heading to doesn’t have a washer, how thick should the delrin be for the washer?

Mumbles

Replies: 5755
    Topics: 298

Hey Mumbles, it looks like the thrust washer on this may be shot. In case the shop I’m heading to doesn’t have a washer, how thick should the delrin be for the washer?

I can’t remember what I made them but if you put your starter back together and measure the end play, that will give you an idea of where to start. Without a diagram handy, I’m sure there’s a thin washer on top of the armature to. You gotta have some end play.

mr-asa

EvapoRust and an ultrasonic cleaner, scraped a lot of rust off, sanded commutator, machined a quick 1/32nd delrin bushing/washer and:

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by mr-asa.

Buccaneer

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 7468
    Topics: 1071

It’ Alive!

Prepare to be boarded!

bobw

Replies: 2443
    Topics: 56

Nice recovery!!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

RICHARD A. WHITE

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 1840
    Topics: 140

So on the Evapo-rust…. did ya soak the whole thing? please describe the process with more details…
    Thanks

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

Beno

Replies: 121
    Topics: 46

I had a tussle with a V4 140hp omc last year,
    when I bought the powerhead in 2012 the starter seemed fine.
    then in storage till 2020

last year the starter just barely turned the v4 over, even with full battery..
    eventually just tossed it and got another starter.. Took right off.

oddly mine just went bad with time.. I still have it.. might dissect it at some point.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Beno.

dave-bernard

Replies: 2012
    Topics: 29

most likely needs new grease .

mr-asa

Ok, so if you haven’t run into it yet, EvapoRust is a bit of a miracle worker for anyone that works with ferrous materials. Last time I picked some up it was about $30/gallon? Gentle enough to leave original 60+ year old paint in place, but still breaks the rust down and leaves bare metal. It is very slightly acidic to neutral (pH of 6.1-7,) this is good because shellac such as that on the windings can be wiped out by a base.

So, I broke the starter down as much as possible. (as you can see in this post)
    Got as much of the loose rust out as possible, put it in a container and cover it with EvapoRust, I’ve got a cheap aluminum cooking pot that I usually use, but for odd shaped stuff you can use PVC with an end cap, or heat-seal some thick plastic sheeting or whatever works. Once it is covered, leave it soaking overnight at a minimum, 24hrs is usually recommended.
    Towards the end of the 24 hours I put the entire container in my ultrasonic cleaner. Its an amazing tool (if you don’t have one, look into buying one, largest one that you can afford/that fits on your bench) and let it run for about an hour.
    Afterwards I generally flush the EvapoRust off with hot water and inspect everything to make sure it took care of it all. If it looks good, clean and prep for paint or reassembly or whatever the next step is.

You can then strain the EvapoRust and reuse it a few times before having to dump it out.

mr-asa

What kind?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.