Common problems with the 6V Evinrude Starters?

Home Forum Ask A Member Common problems with the 6V Evinrude Starters?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• RICHARD A. WHITE

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1800
    Topics: 137

So on the Evapo-rust…. did ya soak the whole thing? please describe the process with more details…
    Thanks

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
    classicomctools@gmail.com

Beno

Replies: 78
    Topics: 24

I had a tussle with a V4 140hp omc last year,
    when I bought the powerhead in 2012 the starter seemed fine.
    then in storage till 2020

last year the starter just barely turned the v4 over, even with full battery..
    eventually just tossed it and got another starter.. Took right off.

oddly mine just went bad with time.. I still have it.. might dissect it at some point.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Beno.

dave-bernard

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1456
    Topics: 18

most likely needs new grease .

mr-asa

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

Ok, so if you haven’t run into it yet, EvapoRust is a bit of a miracle worker for anyone that works with ferrous materials. Last time I picked some up it was about $30/gallon? Gentle enough to leave original 60+ year old paint in place, but still breaks the rust down and leaves bare metal. It is very slightly acidic to neutral (pH of 6.1-7,) this is good because shellac such as that on the windings can be wiped out by a base.

So, I broke the starter down as much as possible. (as you can see in this post)
    Got as much of the loose rust out as possible, put it in a container and cover it with EvapoRust, I’ve got a cheap aluminum cooking pot that I usually use, but for odd shaped stuff you can use PVC with an end cap, or heat-seal some thick plastic sheeting or whatever works. Once it is covered, leave it soaking overnight at a minimum, 24hrs is usually recommended.
    Towards the end of the 24 hours I put the entire container in my ultrasonic cleaner. Its an amazing tool (if you don’t have one, look into buying one, largest one that you can afford/that fits on your bench) and let it run for about an hour.
    Afterwards I generally flush the EvapoRust off with hot water and inspect everything to make sure it took care of it all. If it looks good, clean and prep for paint or reassembly or whatever the next step is.

You can then strain the EvapoRust and reuse it a few times before having to dump it out.

mr-asa

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 794
    Topics: 138

What kind?

reivertom

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 710
    Topics: 37

It’s hard to kill simple.

jdunham

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 16
    Topics: 5

Regarding the original cause of the corrosion.
    I dropped a motor in the lake a few years ago while lowering it onto a boat. The lift rope parted. No one got hurt but the motor went under. I had a hold of it so it was only down a foot or so but I had to wait for help to get it out so it had a few minutes to fill. 1956 30hp johnson. I can lift them but not out of the water from the back of a boat.

We pulled it up, took the plugs out and cranked it by hand until it stopped spitting water.
    Pulled the recoil starter off and blew the points dry through the inspection hole in the flywheel.
    After that I put the Put the plugs back in and it fired right up. I ran around for 30 minutes or so to dry it out.

Everything worked fine for the rest of the season and we put it up for the winter.

Next summer…dead starter. Pulled the band off the brush area and horrible rust came out.
    That little paper gasket was enough to hold water in there and over the fall/winter it rusted everything before it finally dried out.

The motor looks fine, no evidence that it ever went under. Still using it today.

I would lay money that the same thing happened to that motor. It went under, was pulled up quick and dried and cleaned thoroughly but, like me, no one thought to drain the starter.

I have a new rope on my lifter now.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 485
    Topics: 62

the old “stuff” is usually repairable, even when extraordinary measures are needed. It’s the new plastic junk that is throw-away

Joe B

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.