Home Forum Ask A Member compression 57 3 hp Johnson

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    aquasonic
    Participant

US Member

Now I think I understand. My previous statement was under the assumption that the one way valve is at the threaded sparkplug hole end of the tester, not at the gauge as others have pointed out. If the volume of the tester hose is included in the measurement then yes, the reading will be lower.

Congratulations scubachuck on getting your motor running again!

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ah ha. I see where that would be a problem! I never saw a gauge with a hose, but the check valve nearer the gauge!

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I think I need a drink!

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice to see that scubachuck was doing some actual work while the rest of us were fiddling around. Glad the engine is up and running again!

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Glad scubachuck got the engine running, and also glad that I think we all are in agreement now on the gauge issue, and we may have set a record for the most ways of trying to explain the same thing!
              I hope we didn’t leave a bunch of new-bees here confused!
              Everyone have a good Day!
              Dave

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member

Here are a few pictures of the compression tester that I use.

20191014_054259_resized

20191014_054326_resized

20191014_054438_resized

It looks like the check valve is at the fitting, not at the gauge. In this case, this makes the hose and gauge a sealed system that only accepts greater pressure from the other side of the check valve. Air is always trying to seek equilibrium or equal pressure. As the piston reaches the top of it’s stroke, the maximum pressure is generated. Some of this pressure will enter the tester hose through the check valve, but only if the supplied pressure is greater than the pressure within the hose. Once the hose and gauge are pressurized to the maximum PSI that the piston can generate, the pressure will stop increasing in the tester because equilibrium has been reached. This is the reason why the gauge will top out after so many pulls of the starter rope.

The concept of equilibrium also explains why a pressure tank can be pressurized by the crankcase, but only to the 5 or so PSI that the crankcase generates. Just as the piston tops out on compression, so does the crankcase. Just as the compression tester reaches maximum PSI, so does the tank. There are other more significant sources of vapor pressure in sealed tanks, namely heat and agitation, but those are separate issues. I’m hoping this explains things a little bit better. Maybe we have a club member with a PhD in Fluid Mechanics that can set the record straight!

The Boat House
                Participant

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Tubs, thanks for the pictures which are worth more than our thousands of words on this subject..
                    I’m done…

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

As an Evinrude Special Interest Group Leader I can’t show you mine – it’s made by Keikhoefer – if it were any shorter, the piston would hit the reset valve . . .

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.