Home Forum Ask A Member Compression Question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    George Solana
    Participant

I came across a โ€˜97 Merc 9.9 two stroke. I know itโ€™s not an antique, but just a general question about compression that could apply to older motors.

She runs good, starts up fine, but I ran a compression check and top cylinder was 92 and bottom cylinder was 91. Motor was warmed up 5 minutes prior to compression check. The service manual says anything below 100 psi or a differential of 15% is begging for a rebuild. My question is, how true is that? Can this motor be ran safely being 10 psi below the spec?

Thanks in advance for all your great advise!

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It maybe you gauge. the 2 cyl are close. if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Mumbles
        Participant

I’d be happy with those numbers as they are so close together. If the compression is below spec, the motor wont be able to make full power and may have trouble idling to.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am pretty sure those engines have some kind of special coating on the cylinder walls….chrome or something similar. I forget. Anyway, unless the rings are just stuck, you don’t rebuild them; you just replace the power head. So, if it starts easily and makes good power, I would suspect maybe a gauge problem.

Long live American manufacturing!

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Compression testers for small engines should ideally have the pressure-release (schrader) valve close to the cylinder. Testers with the valve at the gauge end of a hose will give lower readings on small displacement engines.

Compression-Tester

1 user thanked author for this post.
              crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if it runs ok dont mess with it. jmho…go fishing!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges ๐Ÿ™‚

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Same here…..if it runs ok dont mess with it. jmho…go fishing!

if you are worried try some decarb stuff like Merc power tune or similar Evinrude engine cleaner and measure comp. again after a while.

use the short meter pictured above not the long hose one and re-measure comp. you may gain a few PSI and be close enough to perfection ๐Ÿ™‚ .

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by crosbyman.
                  George Solana
                  Participant

Thanks to all!

George Solana
                    Participant

Borrowed a buddyโ€™s compression gauge with release valve close to cylinder. My gauge is a cheapie with a foot long hose, release valve on side of gauge dial. This time, top cylinder ran 96, bottom ran 94.
                      I sure as heck ainโ€™t messing with it now. Amazing for a motor pushing 25 years!
                      Thanks again guys!

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

25 years … that is a young fellow

my 9.5hp 9622a Evinrude is 45 years old and runs like a top with compression in the low 70s

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.