Home Forum Ask A Member Crankshaft O Ring, 3 HP Johnson 1961 JW-17

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SCOTT GODFREY
    Participant

Hi there. I am rebuilding a 3 hp Johnson and there is an O ring on the crankshaft. Yet this part is not shown in any manuals. Does anyone know the part number for this or what to replace it with?

Thanks
      Scott

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

mdl# ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve D
        Participant

On MarineEngine I checked your model 3 HP and all of them up to 1968 and the only year that shows an o-ring in addition to the slinger is 1966. But when I check the number for that o-ring 308117, it says it’s an invalid part number. There’s also a discussion on MarineEnginge about someone else who has a 3 HP that shows the o-ring but his is a 1968 and when you check that parts page it doesn’t show it. So maybe if you just take it to a hardware store or buy an O-ring assortment kit from Harbor Freight you might be able to match it up.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?458037-1968-Johnson-3hp-JHL23M-Compression-Test

o-ring-on-66

o-ring-on-68

SCOTT GODFREY
          Participant

The model is a JW-17

SCOTT GODFREY
            Participant

Thanks so much. I will continue to look a bit unless there are other suggestions and if no luck will just match up as best I can. Thanks

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s pretty funny. I, too, have a ’68 Evinrude 3 apart.. It has the o-ring also; and I have been down the same road. I was not really even sure if it was OEM, nor could I really figure out what it’s function even was. Nobody uses an o-ring for a crank seal like that, that I have ever seen. I can’t imagine it would last very long as an actual crank seal, when used under high rotational speed, that way. I just finished putting my power head back together with the existing o-ring. I have not run it yet; so I don’t know if that will be a mistake or not….

Long live American manufacturing!

SCOTT GODFREY
                Participant

Thanks for the input, glad to see I am not alone. I may end up using the existing one as well.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, that’s a new one on me for sure… Like Bill says, an oring there seems like it would get destroyed, but I guess the oil keeps it lubed. So, I would not look for an alternative, I would just reuse the original oring as long as it looks to be in good condition…

Mumbles
                    Participant

After checking parts manuals, it seems that O ring was a one year only item, 1966, and OMC must have realised they were trying to saddle a dead horse and they didn’t use it again on the later JW or Lightwin three horse motors.

Without any forced lubrication to it, I think that O ring would get shredded or torn apart shortly after start up.

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mine is in a ’68, even though the ’68 parts manual doesn’t show it. My o-ring is in pretty good condition, although slightly flat. I was wondering if it was some kind of additional slinger but I don’t know where it would sling anthing TO. Maybe it acts as a kind of labyrinth seal.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.