Home Forum Ask A Member Did my impeller break!? 1956 Seahorse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Yesterday, the motor( 10 HP Seahorse, 1956) purred like a kitten for the first 15 minutes of use. Then, she seemed to get bogged down. She would still run, but sounded warbly…I would describe it like a hesitation. When I cut off the motor, and my boys played in some sand, it was very tough to get it going again…maybe 10 or more pulls. Usually, it takes 2. I was running fresh gas/right mixture. I tilted the motor and looked inside just to see if I saw any leaks or anything when on shore. Eventually, when I dropped the motor back in, I saw, it seemed, a lot of oil in the water. After I got it going, many pulls… it did the same thing. It purred for about 10 minutes, then started to hesitate…a little but still pushed me down the river. I messed with lean/rich mixture on both slow and fast. That helped a little, but not much. Eventually, we stopped again. This time for a rope swing. When I went to start it, it started second pull, but I had sheared a pin, which I never noticed, approaching shore. So, in the end, I had 2 issues. Any idea on the hesitation or it running rough? About 2 weeks ago, it did this same thing for the first time. I was running wide open, everything was great, and then, the motor just sounded super rich and loud. I also saw a little smoke coming from a hole at the top of the prop, where the water seems to come out when it runs. I looked in the parts manual for a good visual, but couldn’t find the area I am talking abot

Thanks for any help! I was thinking maybe it was something with my tank’s air supply to the motor. I thought about trying out a different tank just to see. Right now, I am running a vintage 1950s gas tank with the 10HP Johnson Seahorse.

I just learned this could be from a failing impeller. Is there an easy way to tell when it is out of the water? Anyone have any leads for excellent engine service here in Richmond VA? I feel so ignorant. I had known if your engine ever sounds weird, you might have a broken impeller that if not addressed will mess your engine up quick. I am learning!

david-bartlett
    Participant

Only one way for sure to see if your impeller is bad. Open it up and look.

As a real rookie here….is that something you would think any novice could do? I’ve never opened up my motor or any other boat motor before, so I am leaning on any advice or youtube video you can suggest! Also, are 1956 impellers easy to find?

david-bartlett
      Participant

You can do this!! Your motor is really quite easy to work on and the parts are readily available.

Check out this site for lots of good information. http://www.leeroysramblings.com/index.html

Impeller can be found here. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … num=775518

I recommend the factory impeller over the Sierra, but both will work.

If you run into something you are not sure of, just ask away. Lots of help here.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I don’t know if your impeller is broke or not, but the rest of your story suggests you may still have the old original coils in there. If that is a good guess, you will never get that motor to run right till you replace them. Ignore this advice if they have already been replaced.

Reference picture

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

and…. replacing bad coils is easy if you want to jump in an learn. lots of videos on utube

if you are going to run an oldy most repairs you m ay need by a able and willing shop can be pricier than the motor itself so jump in

adjusting the points is easy also
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1Cjymj … e=youtu.be

this book will help and contains 99% of what you need to know

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/ … on.html#/0

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

ede
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sent you a PM, Ed Elliott

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool! I’m glad Ed is helping out…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.