Home Forum Ask A Member Drilling/modifying impeller bores

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

In the past, I have modified a few modern, readily available impellers to fit an application where the originals were NLA. I have had some success with this, even though my methods have been crude. This is because the impellers I was modifying were not very tall. Now, I would like to drill a hole to enlarge the shaft diameter of a taller (about 7/8″) impeller. I had a used one to experiment with and my hole came out off-center and crooked, even though I used a drill press. Have any of you guys had better luck? If so, how did you do it? Thanks.

Note: In particular, I am going to try to replace an automatic trans. Mercury impeller with one from a 9.9/15 Yamaha. As some of you know, those impellers take a bad set, even when relatively new and become useless in a few years, even if not even run. My idea is to use the Yamaha impeller, which has a better, more pliable and flexible material, and is darn close to the right overall size, except the bore.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by billw.
      Tom
      Participant

US Member

Bill,

If what see on the interweb is right, that’s a six vane impeller. That lends itself really well to chucking in a three jaw lathe chuck. I’ve done a few this way and they have come out fine. Message me on this board, or call me at 508 844 eight two two eight.

Tom

jcrigan
        Participant

I have used a piece of pvc pipe and set the impeller in that. Filling in the spaces between the vanes with plaster will hold everthing in place.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

I’ve only done a couple of impeller “re-fits”, and only had to enlarge the
            hole .010 or .020 thousands, but an adjustable reamer worked great,
            just by holding the impeller by hand.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.