Home Forum Ask A Member Elgin 5hp vs 7.5

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ronboonville
    Participant

I have a 5hp elgin and I bought a used powerhead. Scapped the old one because broken head bolts. Is there an easy way to tell if it is a 5 or 7.5? I’m in need of one reed and the photos on e-bay of a 7.5 look like my reed cage. having oblong intake holes compared to 5 hp having round ports. I hate to buy a complete reed plate for one reed but will if I have too. One seller has a single reed for about $15. Any help or knowledge appreciated.

76-j
      Participant

I have a 5hp elgin and I bought a used powerhead. Scapped the old one because broken head bolts. Is there an easy way to tell if it is a 5 or 7.5? I’m in need of one reed and the photos on e-bay of a 7.5 look like my reed cage. having oblong intake holes compared to 5 hp having round ports. I hate to buy a complete reed plate for one reed but will if I have too. One seller has a single reed for about $15. Any help or knowledge appreciated.

A SEVEN and 1/2 has needle brgs on crankshaft ; wheras the FIVE don’t.
        A SEVEN and 1/2 has a fuel pump AND gravity feed__ whereas the FIVE has , but gravity going to carburetter.

HOPE -THIS-Yelps er HELPS ! !

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.