Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Ruddertwin Cranks, Flywheels, Nuts and Keys

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ausf233
    Participant

Hi guys,

From posts by others on here, i note that there were 3 variations of the flywheel used on the Elto Ruddertwin Outboards. From my limited research, it would appear also that the transition from one to the other occurred in 1926 during which time the Model G & H were being produced.

My question is, did the crankshaft taper and key remain the same or did these change also along with the variations in flywheel?

To member Tubs, I sincerely hope you don’t mind that I have used some of your photos to help convey the above message about the flywheels and nuts..

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks & Regards,
      Spiro

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by ausf233.
      wbeaton
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Spiro, i believe there was only one size key. I have seen two different size keys used. The original or most common is a rectangular bar. The other is a common oversized Woodruff key. I have to assume the Woodruff key slots were cut to repair damaged crankshafts. Keep in mind I have only worked on or dismantled about a dozen of these motors from 1921-27ish. There are definitely three different flywheels that will fit, but again, those get changed all the time. I know for sure there was a change in 1926 to the dished “safety flywheel” with the big holes. The smaller holes came later. 1921 to 25 all use the same flywheel according to ELTO even thought my 1921 crank had a large Woodruff key. It also had a much later (and butchered) flywheel on it when I got it. The problem I find is that the best examples are stored away on racks in old collections. What we are finding out in the wild are beat up and picked over motors. These motors have lots of replacement parts from other years. Also, ELTO made a lot of subtle changes that you wouldn’t even notice from year to year. Hopefully, someone more experienced with Ruddertwins will chime in.

Wayne
        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by wbeaton.
        ausf233
        Participant

Thank you Wayne, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I had understood from others that the Woodruff style key was standard but couldn’t get my head around that based on what i was seeing on both the original and replacement engines for my Model G. A flat bar style key makes more sense.

Attached pic of my Crank and Flywheel, clearly designed to accept a flat bar key style.

Regards,
          Spiro

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.