Home Forum Ask A Member engine start-up pre-lube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rick Robbins
    Participant

Later this spring I plan to start a 1994 outboard that hasn’t been started in about 15 yrs. Looking for suggestions from anyone about pre- lubing the engine before cranking it over.
      Thanks, Rick

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Rick Robbins.
      outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

I’ve never worried about pre-lubing engines that haven’t been run for a lot of years, but on one that new, I’d run it on 25 to 1 gas/oil mix the first time you start it, and never run 100 to 1 (as some motors back then claimed); use 50 to 1 after you once get it running.

If it pulls over really sluggish, you may want to take the spark plugs out, tip it up and put a small bit of gas/oil mix into the cylinders, or pump a bit of oil in with a pump oil can, but I do these things only if it pulls over sluggish or has low initial (measured) compression; because you will likely just be taking the plugs out again after a pull or two as they foul up with what you put in the cylinders before you get it started.

Check the lower gearcase first – drain and replace – you may be surprised at what does or doesn’t come out. Watch for the telltail cooling water – expect the impeller to be bad or not last long.

What kind and HP is it?
        Dave

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by outbdnut2.
        Rick Robbins
        Participant

It’s a 1994 Evinrude 70 hp. It was given to me after sitting for many years. I do’t have any controls for it, so I just want to know if it runs OK before throwing any cash at it.
          Thanks for your suggestions.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

If I remember right, that motor has the electric shift. You must use Evinrude gear oil made for the electric shift in it to keep it working right.
            Good Luck!
            Dave

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

replace the impeller BEFORE starting it up … in case it is cracked & bits end up the water tube/passages

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

PugetSoundBoater
              Participant

In addition to replacing the impeller on a new to me motor, i always check the t stat too. You can inspect the cooling passages a bit while you have the water pump and T stat removed.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                Robbie Robertson

Mumbles
                Participant

If a motor has been sitting for a long, long time, I like to pull the plugs and spray inside the cylinders with fogging oil and also crank it over with a drill while spraying the fogging oil down the carb. Spraying down the carb will help ensure the bearings are lubed before trying to start it.

The Boat House
                  Participant

Rick Robbins
                    Participant

No this one is manual shift.

Rick Robbins
                      Participant

All good suggestions to be followed, thanks I’ll use the fogging oil at that time. Right now I’m chasing a no spark condition. It went from spark in one cyl to no spark anywhere. Right now I’m looking at the trigger coil, but am waiting for some test parts to hook up my ohm meter to continue troubleshooting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.