Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude 10 update

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    SCOTT D. WAHLBERG
    Participant

US Member

A while back I posted a question regarding gas / oil mixture leaking around the hole where the shift handle goes into the midsection. There was not much response because this was such an unusual problem. I was talking with an AOMC buddy and he suggested I open up the crankcase and reseal. I got the correct gel seal and activator (that in itself wasn’t easy. Part stores look at you like you have 3 heads and then say thread lock is what I must need.) Anyway, I split the crankcase, cleaned it up real well and resealed with the gel sealer. Put everything back together and it cured the problem.  Now this motor starts on the second pull, idles down to nothing and generally runs great. I’m looking forward to trying it on a boat soon. I thought some of you may benefit from this report.

2fast4me
      Participant

Good info thanks for the progress report…

2Fast4Me

johnny
        Participant

US Member

I don’t understand why resealing the crankcase would stop a leak on the shift handle. The shift handle shaft only requires a new O-ring to stop a leak at that point.

SCOTT D. WAHLBERG
          Participant

US Member

The powerhead sits above the area where the shift handle mounts. If the crankcase isn’t sealing properly it will leak gas / oil into the area below it, which is the mid section of the motor. The path the gas took was onto the shaft that goes from the shift handle into the mid section to the actual shift linkage. Some gas probably went straight down but some caused a steady drip from the shift shaft area. It also caused a lean run situation for the engine since fuel was being diverted from getting into the cylinder. There is no need for an o-ring on this shaft because normally there would be no reason to seal it up. It just gets grease to lubricate the shaft.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

You do need an O-ring on the shift handle since some unburned fuel/oil mix in the exhaust stream or cooling water can escape out of the midsection thru the shift handle shaft.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
              1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
              "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by bobw.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.