Home Forum Ask A Member EVINRUDE 70HP LANYARD KILL SWITCH

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I guess the first thing is to try to minimize any connections/splices by reworking/redesigning the harness.
      If splices are necessary, I would cover the splice/soldered connection with shrink tube. The stop circuit has about 175 volts, which is always looking for a quick trip to ground. Plastic butt connectors, especially in a damp/wet (especially salt water) environment provide a great opportunity for shorts to ground.
      The 12 volt side is less of an issue, except in salt water.
      I realize that soldering is not always a possibility, some wiring has a strange coating on the copper core that actually resists soldering. They do make metal splices that don’t have the plastic sleeve, making it easy to slide the shrink tube over the splice for a nice sealed connection. Just don’t be like me, and forget to slide the shrink tube over one of the leads before making the splice!

fisherman6
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Aw jeez, Don. I thought I was the only one who makes the splice connections before putting the shrink.tube on the wire. 😳
        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

PugetSoundBoater
        Participant

What about using butt connectors and then using a sealant to fill in the ends of the connectors after you are done so as to eliminate moisture getting in there? I have done that. I used Seal -All.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
          Robbie Robertson

Viewing 3 posts - 11 through 13 (of 13 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.