Evinrude impeller pin question

Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude impeller pin question

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Ironhorse2022

Replies: 11
    Topics: 6

Hello all,

I managed to loose the pin that keys the impeller to the drive shaft.  It looks like a 1/8” pin, approx .300” long is what is needed.  I haven’t found a local source that sells solid pins and hate the idea of paying $7 plus shipping for a correct one if a simple roll pin will work (which I already have a selection of).  Any words of wisdom on replacing the pin ?  Unfortunately, I don’t have a metal lathe to make one.
    thanks

frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 6414
    Topics: 50

1/8″ stainless rod is readily available in most areas.  Or how about an unthreaded section of a stainless steel screw?

johnny

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 83
    Topics: 18

I would not advise using a roll pin.

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 817
    Topics: 59

How about a piece of a nail?  Maybe a welding rod stub?  The flux will sand off an electric welder rod easily!   How about a coat hanger?  There are some that are close to 1/8″  Those prices are nuts!

dale

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2991
    Topics: 287

deleted before  to many see it 🙂 had my mind on propellers

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by crosbyman.
    Attachments:

labrador-guy

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 817
    Topics: 59

crosbyman this fella is looking for a drive pin for his impeller!

dale

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

well that  was  in left field wasn’t it  🙂

boscovius

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 89
    Topics: 9

I thought it was a very bad idea to use anything but the correct shear pin as the use of a material that has a much higher shear strength will defeat the purpose of the shear pin and allow the forces from a prop strike to damage engine internals.

When I was young and dumb I used sections I’d cut off from a brass rod my buddy gave me.  they worked a bit, but were too soft and didn’t last long.  Finding out exactly what the metalurgy is on those shear pins and getting a length of rod would be the way to go.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

impeller pin…..:-)   see post 271276 & 271288 !

Ironhorse2022

Replies: 11
    Topics: 6

Thanks for the feedback.  I was thinking that a softer steel might corrode too much.  I recall that hardened steels tend to rust less and I think the original was a hardened pin.

joecb

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 678
    Topics: 74

We are looking for a drive pin for the water pump impellor, correct?  That pin should be corrosion resistant and no need to be exceptionally strong. Any commonly available stainless steel will do the job. This is an entirely different application from the propellor drive ( shear) pin where material strength is a major consideration.

Joe B

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by joecb.

Mumbles

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 5624
    Topics: 294

Have a welding shop nearby?  If so, pick up a 1/8″  stainless welding rod, either stick or TIG and problem solved.  You might want to check the size of the hole in the driveshaft with a drill bit first though to make sure you get the correct size.  I don’t have a pin handy at the moment but I think they are closer to 3/32″ diameter. What size motor are you working on?

Using anything other than stainless is just asking for trouble as a nail or whatever will eventually rust out and fail. That would mean an overheat situation which could cost a lot more in the long run than a piece of the correct material would in the first place.  It’s always the smallest parts in a motor which are the most important.

boscovius

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 89
    Topics: 9

Sorry, somehow I got the idea this was a shear pin issue.  I know the drive pin in question and had to order one from Marine Engine.  Paid too much for it I’m sure.  Almost indistinguishable from the pin that holds the propeller seal housing to the skeg on my 35 big twin lower unit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.