Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude model U

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    george-emmanuel
    Participant

US Member

Tom gave some great knowledge! The compression fittings are about .050 undersize. If you use modern versions they will jump thread as you tighten. I made all new ones on the lathe for a ’28 H Fastiwn I built.

The U in my opinion is a lazy starter. By that I mean it seems to start really rich and finally clears out. I’ve always felt the venturi is too big. One day I hope to try a Speedifour carb.

Tom is right on about those cotter pins in the wrist pins. Don’t use a slightly undersize cotter pin because it’s easy to install! Use a full size. I found that some have alignment issues with the holes on the piston’s wrist pin boss and the wrist pin holes. I did one and used an aircraft drill (needed for the length). I lined up the top piston hole with the wrist pin holes and ran the drill through to bring the bottom piston hole into alignment. I have seen 29 U’s using wrist pin clips!

2fast4me
      Participant

Oooookay I cleaned the model “U” and preformed an autopsy to find out why it died 50 years ago, well it may have died long before that but the guy i bought it from had it since 1970. I’m amazed people keep things as long as they do, kindred spirits I think.
        Well it is stuck and the pistons are near the top and the ports are open to the crankcase so i have Some debris in the crankcase and the rings show rust. I think it best to fill the crankcase with penetrating oil and let it sit, maybe even some 16/1 mix, any thoughts? Some people swear by acetone and ATF some swear at it.
        I cleaned the carb, air horn and manifold and found one mixture screw missing and the top of the float Bowel slightly cracked at a screw hole. I have a plan for that.
        Gas tank has two small holes. Not worried yet!
        I pulled the flywheel and cleaned everything, no parts missing. I did some polishing also.
        Getting it unstuck is a priority if it won’t i may just cosmetically restore. I’ve got pictures, but it’s late. Thanks for all the help!
        Jim

2Fast4Me

bobw
        Participant

US Member

If it’s showing rust, I’d fill it up with some Evaporust or Metal Rescue first to knock out the rust. Drain that off, then follow up with the penetrating oil. The 50/50 acetone/ATF does makes a good penetrating fluid.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

rapier
          Participant

Thanks for the input on this post. Will be a great help to me when I get to my 16hp and 20hp model Us.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.