Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude N?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    viking66
    Participant

I bought a Cache of motors today. I got a 1923-24 RBM, a Super Elto and 10 other motors and a rolling rack. While going through I noticed what may be a Evinrude N? It does swivel and has N5166 stamped on it.

The tank does not look correct to me, but of course I am no expert 🙁

Here are some pics for identification. Please feel free to let me know if I don’t know crap, or maybe I am on to something.

Thanks as always…

kees
      Participant

International Member - 2 Years

Yes. I think you have an Evinrude model N sportwin
        but FWIW and MHO
        = tank is homemade
        = muffler has an extra homemade underwater exhaust
        = carb. ? don’t know, could be an old one, looks pretty original to me but I have
        on my engine the more common tillotson

😉

george-emmanuel
        Participant

US Member

Yep that’s an N and it has lost its i.d.tag, and has been stamped where the tag should be. As far as the tank it certainly looks homemade but that air vent in the center is an original piece that stumps me. Carb is correct and matches the one on mine.

George

kees
          Participant

International Member - 2 Years

I have two
            One with an original copper tank,
            then the ID plate is on the tank and that makes it a NS model with the bronze lower unit
            my more common model "N" has # 5438 on the ID plate and
            has also another carb. on it
            was it possible that they used 3 different types of carbs on these Sportwins ?
            just for info

viking66
            Participant

Thanks for the responses!

I was not familiar with the N model, and not even when the man told me that…"oh that one swivels on the bottm like a rudder" did I know it was different.

On my trip back home I started to think if I had even seen anything like that and I had not so I looked it up. Are these things in the more rare catagory, or just different because of the swivel going on?

That tank sort of baffles me too. It looks pretty hokey in the pics, but actually looking at it in person it seems well made. The brackets that hold it on are broken on both sides and the exhaust thing is odd too. Maybe when I have some time… 😆 😆 I will do some investigating and see what is what.

hotrod
              Participant

N 5166 is 1924. According to the 1924 Evinrude catalog: the tank should be brass the same as a 1923, the carb should be a Zenith with float feed, when the motor is running and you lift the tiller arm the lower unit should swing around and go into reverse mode, lifting the tiller arm only halfway should lock the tilting ability for starting purposes, the gearcase has 3 ball bearings and a stainless steel prop shaft, there should be a drain valve at the bottom of the cylinder water lines where they enter the tower assy.
                Your 2 tilt adjusting arms have been cut off. The original tiller and its mechanism is missing. The brass tank and ID tag is missing. This motor is a good candidate for fixing and running as-is. It has character.

viking66
                Participant

Thanks Hotrod, Great information to know!!!

I am happy when the tag fell off the guy was smart enough to put the serial number there, unless they do it at the factory before the tag gets put on.

I did notice the tilt arms being cut off. Makes a guy wonder why someone would do that, but hey, this motor has been around a long time.

I would be real interested in seeing a pic of a authentic tiller and the assembly. I will take a good pic of mine tomorrow some maybe what all is missing could be identified.

Thanks again everyone…I love this site!!!

hotrod
                  Participant

These pics show a 1924 N which has an aluminum tank and the sn tag is on the reverse housing. The carb should have an air shutter on its entrance. The tiller arm should have a short rubber grip on it. There were 4 carbs used on the N: A Zenith in ’23-’24 like in the illustration I recently posted, a different carb in ’25 like the carb with the big elbow on your motor, a different carb in ’26 that had a throttle lever cast onto a disc on the starboard side, and a typical Tillotson style in ’27-’28.
                    Your motor might have a later ’25-’28 muffler but I’m not sure. I think the ’24 N had the same muffler as the ’23 which was a tin can style like Model A Johnsons.
                    There are a lot of unknowns with the Model N differences between ’23-’28.
                    There were 6 different reverse housings.

hotrod
                    Participant

I now believe that your original tank was aluminum.
                      My 1923 and 1924 N 4225 motors both have brass tanks and both have the sn plate on the brass tank, with no rivet holes in the reverse housing where a sn plate could have been attached. My1924 N 6414 motor has the aluminum tank with the sn tag riveted onto the front of the reverse housing.
                      Since your N 5166 has the rivet holes in the front edge of your remaining portion of the reverse housing, indicating an aluminum tank, it appears that the brass tanks ended somewhere between N 4225 and N 5166.

viking66
                      Participant

The Tank is definitely light as far as weight goes. It could be Aluminum, I will take a magnet to it and see. It does seem well made, not some guy bending metal to make a Tank.

Thanks so much for the additional pics. It helps me to see what mine was back in the day. I do plan on making it work and put is close to that.

What is the appeal for these motors? From what I have been reading they seem to have a little bit of a following more than some other cool motors.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.